Chapter 51

I looked at the tombstone that has Elliott's name on it. Why is Brian showing me this?

"So here it is," Brian said.

"Yeah." Tears started to come out of my eyes. I looked at the date when he died. "Today was the day he...?"

"Yeah, today was the day he died."

I turned to look at him. He's just looking at the grave. I expected tears to come out of his eyes, but they aren't. They're dry as hell.

"So why are you showing me this?" I asked.

"I don't know; I had a feeling that I wanted to show you this for some reason. Maybe it's because it'll help me to get over Elliott's death a little."

I wrapped my arms around his waist. "I'm glad you're showing me this."

"Me too." He wrapped one of his arms around my waist.

We both stood there, looking at the grave. I'm learning about Elliott a little, but there are some things that I wanted to know, like what he looked like or what he loves to do. I don't know why, but I'm curious about him all of a sudden.

Brian let go of me and opened up his backpack. I didn't even notice he brought it out. He pulls something out and gives it to me.

"What is this?" I asked.

"Look for it yourself."

I looked down to see that it's a picture of Brian with a boy with pale skin and brown hair. They're both sitting in front of a garden and they're smiling.

I looked up at Brian. "Is this Elliott?"

"Yeah." He looked up ahead.

"What was he like?"

"He was funny, the sweetest person you've ever met, would always cheer you up when you're down, and makes the best chocolate chip cookies." He wiped the tears that's coming down his face. "He always makes his sisters laugh and he..." He puts his hands over his face as he starts to cry.

I turned to him and wrapped my arms around him. I ran my hand through his hair as he continues to sob.

My heart is aching for him. I wanted to tell him everything's going to be okay, but that's not going to help. I don't know that for sure.

A few minutes had passed and Brian had stopped crying. He pulled away from me and wiped his tears again.

"Feel better?" I asked.

"Kind of."

I looked back at the grave. Losing someone is one of the worst things that can happen to you. It turns your world upside down and you don't know what to do without that person. You just wanted to scream at the world, asking God how he could do that to you.

"I'm going to see a therapist," Brian said.

"Huh?" I looked at him.

"I mean, I'm going to see a therapist on Saturday...and I want you to come with me."

"Why?"

"Because I needed some company."

"Okay. How long will you be seeing one for?"

"Who knows? Probably for a long time."

The wind started to blow the cold air and I shivered. Damn, I should've worn a coat instead of a jacket.

"Cold there?" he asked.

"Yeah."

He wraps his arm around my waist and walks me over to his pickup. "Let's go."