Chapter 29

I woke up and looked at the date on my phone. It's Brian's birthday! I jumped out of my bed and hopped into the shower. I quickly got dressed and sent Brian a happy birthday text. I waited for him response until he sent me a text back, thanking me. I smiled and put my phone in my pocket, grabbed my backpack, and went upstairs.

"Hey, Chris," Grandpa said when I entered the kitchen.

"Hi, Grandpa. Where's Dad?"

"He got called in early today, so I'm making breakfast."

"What's for breakfast?" I asked.

"Eggs and toast."

"Ugh, I'm so tired," I heard Mia whined as she Mariah Jake, and Nate walked into the kitchen.

"Well, then you shouldn't stayed up all night doing your homework at the last minute," Mariah says

"Shut up, Mariah," Mia said.

"Girls, be nice," Grandpa said.

Mia rolled her eyes and sat down at the table.

"Okay, um, kids," Grandpa said, "I have a doctor's appointment at three, so I won't be here by the time you kids get home."

"Is something wrong?" Nate asked.

"Nope, just having a checkup, that's all," Grandpa said. He sets the eggs and toast on the table. "Now eat up."

The bus stopped at the highschool and we all boarded off of it. Jane and I walked up to our group of friends.

"Hey, Chris," Seth says. "My mom wants you at our house after school."

"Um, why?" I asked.

"Well, cause it's Brian's birthday, and you two are getting kind of close."

"Okay then."

"How close and you are Brian getting?" Rachel asked as I put my backpack in my locker.

"Pretty close, I guess," I said.

"What do you mean 'you guess'. Even you are or you're aren't," Layla said.

"Well, we both agreed we should take things slow."

"How slow?" Paul asked.

"I don't know. Until he's ready."

"Well, it's a good thing you're taking things slow, cause if the both of you go quickly into your relationship, it won't end well," Danielle said.

"You got that right," Layla muttered under her breath.

The bell rang and we went to English class. School went by so quickly and the next thing I know, I was walking with Seth to Brian, who's with Gabriella and Ramona.

"So, I was thinking that Ramona and I should throw you a party at my house on Saturday," Gabriella said.

"Sure." Brian really doesn't look interested at all into their conversation.

"Oh, and here's a thing," Gabriella said. "Your brother and his friends aren't invited."

Fine, I thought. I'm spending the day with him anyway.

"And why is that?" Brian asked, crossing his arms.

"Because I don't invite losers and assholes," she said.

"Is Malcolm going to be there?" Brian asked.

"Well, yes, but--"

"I don't understand, Gabriella. You invited Malcolm--who I really hate-- at this party, and you won't invite my brother and his friends. That's so pathetic. Thanks, but I don't think I'll be there." He grabs his backpack out of his locker and throws it over his shoulder. "Bye."