Chapter 55

Four months later

"Almost ready, Chris. Brian will be here soon," Mom said.

"Yeah, I'm just putting my jacket on," I said.

"He's here! He's here!" I heard Mia say.

I quickly put it on and went upstairs. I got to the living room and saw Brian in his tux, talking to my mom.

Brian stopped and saw me standing there. "Wow, Chris. You look...wow."

"Thanks. You're not so bad either," I said.

On Valentine's Day, Brian surprised me by taking me to the restaurant we ate after Brian's first therapy session on our actual first date. After we got done eating, the waitress brought me a flan. I was confused because I never ordered it. When I saw the word 'Prom?' written in caramel icing, I now understood why. Brian must've told the waitress just as I was in the bathroom.

I looked up at him and saw that smile on his face. I said yes and he leaned over the table to kiss me.

"Wow, Chris. You looked really handsome," Mia said.

"Yeah, you look like James Bond," Mariah said.

"Mom told you two to compliment me, didn't she?" I asked.

"Yes," Mia said.

"Amelia!" Mom said.

"Wait, wait! I wanna see!" Natalia came into the living room with Jake and Nate behind her. She stopped when she saw me. "Whoa, Chris."

"Thanks, Natalia," I said.

Mom wiped a fake tear. "I can't believe my baby boy is going to his first prom," she said.

"I thought I was your baby boy," Nate said.

"Nice going, Olivia," Dad said.

"Oh, Chris. You look handsome," Aunt Sofia said.

"Thanks, Aunt Sofia," I said.

"We should get going, Chris," Brian said.

"Wait! I wanted a picture of you two!" Mom said.

"Now," I groaned.

"Just one picture," Mom commanded.

"Honey, you always say that," Dad said.

"Can't we take one after the march?" I asked.

"No, I want one now."

"Let's just do it, Chris," Brian said.

I sighed. "Fine. Where should we do it?"

Mom led us to the backyard and made Brian and me stand in front of a tree. Brian wrapped his arms around me and placed his hands on top of mine. Just as I expected, Mom took more than one picture until Dad stopped her and let me and Brian go. We quickly ran to his car and he drove off.

"Mothers," Brian said.

"I know," I said with a laugh.

On the ride there, Brian put his hand over mine and squeezed it. I look at him and smile.

"So how's therapy going for you?" I asked.

"Pretty good. Dr. Ramsey really helps me and gives me good advice."

"Are you still going to continue seeing her?" I asked, holding my breath.

"Yes, Chris, I'm gonna."

I sighed a breath of relief. "Oh, okay then."