Chapter 54

Chris P.O.V

"Merry Christmas," Jane said.

"Jane, Christmas was yesterday," Danielle said.

"So? I can still say it."

We're at Emma's house, gathered in the living room with our presents, doing our Secret Santa. Tristan and his friends are also here, with Emma's parents, brothers and sister, her grandparents, Mr. Seong, his partner, his partner's daughter, and my old friends. Ramona and Jarrod are also here too because I had Emma invite them and Gabriella, but Gabriella turned down the invitation, saying, "Thanks, but I need some time." I don't know what she meant by that, so I just smiled and said that's okay.

"Who's first?" Paul asked.

"We should let Emma go first," Layla said.

"So who got her?"

Xavier got up and gave her a wrapped present. "Here I got you."

"Thanks." She unwraps it and looks up. "Gone with the Wind?"

"Uh, yeah. I remember you saying that you wanted to read the book before watching the movie, so..." He shrugged his shoulders. "Merry Christmas, Emma."

"Thanks." Emma got up and kissed him on the cheek. When she sat back down, I could see Xavier's cheek turning red.

"Okay, now. Who got Xavier?" Austen asked.

After everybody handed out their gifts, I was the last one. Danielle got up and gave me the present.

"Here you go, Chris," she said.

"Thanks." I took it from her and opened it to see a photo book. "Oh, thanks."

"Open it," she said.

I opened it to see some pictures of us. There's one at my birthday party, one at Rachel's, one at Xavier's, and the day before Christmas break started when we went sledding and Seth and I rolled off a sled and we trampled on each other. We both started to laugh and everybody else piled on us as Danielle took the picture.

I turned the page to see pictures of me with Brian. There's one at the park the day I yelled at Xavier, the day before Christmas break when he lifted me up after Seth and I rolled off the sled and more.

I looked at the one where Brian and I were holding hands, watching the sunset. Watching it was so majestic. Watching the orange gold rays setting down just as the stars are starting to show in the twilight sky. I remember it made me smile because of how beautiful it is. Just as the sky changed from orange to pink, Brian pulled me closer to him and kissed the top of my head. I smiled and leaned my head on his shoulder as we got lost in the moment.

"Oh, that's beautiful," Natalia said.

Mr. Seong looks over my shoulder. "Oh, Ryan. Remember when we used to watch the sunset together?"

"Yeah, I remember," he said, wrapping his arm around his waist.

Mr. Seong smiled and kissed him on the cheek. I smiled at them, thinking they're lucky to have each other.

I looked over at Brian, who's talking to Tristan, Spencer, and Jarrod. I'm still hoping for a future with him, whether it's good or not. Whatever happens, we still need to find a way back to each other.

Brian looked over at me at one point and smiled at me. I smiled back at him as he grabbed something off the counter and nodded his head to the door. I got up from the couch as he grabbed his coat and mine. He gives me mine and puts his on. He opened the door and we both walked out to the porch.