Chapter 22

Chris P.OV.

I walked to the Walker's house on Saturday. I wonder what made Brian want to hang out with me all of a sudden. Is he finally going to tell me what happened? Probably not. It doesn't matter anyway. I'm just happy that he finally wants to talk to me again.

I arrived at the Walker's house and knocked on the door. The door opened and there stood Mckenzie, Seth's and Brian's six year old sister.

"Hi, McKenzie," I said.

"Seth's not here right now," she said.

"Actually, I'm here for Brian."

"Oh, yeah. He's here." She turned and yelled, "Brian, someone's here for you!"

I heard footsteps coming to the door and Brian smiled when he saw me. "Hey, Chris."

"Hey, Brian." I stepped into the house. "Is it just the three of us here now?"

"Yeah, Keegan plays football and he has a game today," Brian said.

"And why aren't you two there?" I asked.

"McKenzie's not feeling good and I'm babysitting her."

"Oh." I was hoping that Brian and I are going to be hanging out alone. "And you just ended up babysitting her, huh?"

"That and I don't like football."

"Oh. Okay then." I followed them into the living room. "So what are you guys doing now?"

"She's going to watch a movie," Brian said.

"What movie?"

"Barbie as the Princess and the Pauper," McKenzie said.

I groaned. When Mariah was young and it was her turn to pick a movie for family night, it's either a Barbie movie or an American Girl movie.

"Not a huge fan of those huh, Chris?" Brian asked.

"No."

"It's okay. You guys don't have to watch it with me," McKenzie said. She looked at the TV when the movie started.

"Some alone time for us then," Brian whispered to me. I grinned as he turned to McKenzie and said, "Chris and I are going upstairs to my room. Holler if you need anything, okay?"

"Uh-huh." Her eyes are glued to the screen.

Brian turned back to me and said, "Let's go upstairs, shall we?"

I nodded my head and followed him upstairs to his room. When I entered it, all I could see was two dressers, a bunk bed, a queen sized bed, a bookcase, and a poster of Steph Curry.

"So, what do you think?" Brian asked as he sat down on a bed.

"It's...smaller than I expected," I said. I walked over to his bookcase and checked the books out. "So which one of these are yours?"

"The ones by Louis L'Amour." He grabbed my arm and pulled me to his bed. I sat down on the edge of the bed as he leaned back against the headboard.

"So what made you decide that you wanted to hang out with me now?" I asked.

Brian took a deep breath. "I wanted to talk to you about...everything. I wanted to explain what happened during the weeks we weren't talking to each other."

"Okay."

He took another deep breath. "For the first couple of weeks, I was really, really pissed that I agreed we needed to spend some time apart. Whenever I see you, I want to go over and talk to you, but then these flashbacks happen and I just couldn't. I got more and more frustrated every day and I took it out on everything. And then one day, I kind of blew up at my mom and went over to one of my neighbor's house. You know who Ethel Wilcox is, do you?"