Chapter 56

Brian's POV

I ran out of the school as fast as I could. I sat down on a nearby bench to try to catch my breath.

Why the hell are those people here? Everything was going fine until they showed up. I've been avoiding them for a while now. How the hell did they even know I'm attending prom?

I've been thinking not to think about them or see them since a year ago. I'm afraid if I still do...it will still haunt me.

"Brian?"

I looked to see Chris walking over to me. He stood in front of me, frozen. I can see by the way his fingers are twitching a little, probably deciding if he wanted to sit down by me.

"Take a seat, Chris."

He nodded and sat down on the bench with me. He put his hand over mine and squeezed it a little.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"Not really," I admitted.

Chris leaned his head on my shoulder. I kissed the top of it and looked ahead.

This is how my life is now: Everytime I think my life is going good, something else happens. Mine and Chris's first kiss, seeing him get pushed in that locker, the picture of me and Elliot, Malcolm outing Chris, and now this. When is this ever going to stop?

"Brian?"

I looked down at him.

"Who are those people?"

I looked back ahead. I really don't wanna talk to him about it, but Dr. Ramsey tells me that I would feel good about myself if I talk to someone about it.

"Brian?"

"They're..." I closed my eyes, trying not to cry. "They're Elliott's family."

He looked at me with a concerned look on his face. "What?"

"They're Elliott's-"

"I heard what you said, Brian. It's just...are you serious?"

I nodded my head. I didn't realize I was crying until tears were coming down my cheeks.

"Oh, Brian." He wiped the tears off my face.

"How could this happen? I never thought I would see them again."

"What?" Chris has a confused look on his face. "I don't understand."

"What is it you don't understand?" I asked.

"You told me that you talked to someone who knows how you feel when we didn't talk for a while. It wasn't his parents?"

"No. It was Elliott's friends."

"Why...why don't you talk to his parents?"

"I...I couldn't do it, Chris. I couldn't talk or see them again. I just couldn't do it."

I put my head down and started to cry. I thought I would be done with this by now, but then this happened. Why can't my life be normal now? This is so not how I planned it to be. It feels like I'm going in the right direction, but I took a wrong turn and crashed.

"Brian, you have to talk to them," Chris said

I looked up at him. Is he crazy? I can't talk to them. Doesn't he know how much it's going to hurt me?

"Chris, I can't. I won't do it," I said.

"Brian, you have to."

"Why, Chris? Why? Why do I need to talk to them about it? They don't know how I feel."