Chapter 31

I walked over to Brian and tried to put a hand on his shoulder, but he flinched away from me. I instead pulled up another chair and sat down across from him.

"Brian?" I said.

Brian didn't look up.

"Brian?" I said again.

"Leave me alone, Chris," Brian said.

"Brian, I didn't see the picture," I quickly said.

Brian looks up at me. "You didn't?" There are tears coming out of his eyes and his eyes are red from all the crying.

"No, I didn't because I didn't care about it. I just cared about you, Brian. I...always have."

"Really?"

I nodded my head at him.

"Oh, Chris." He leaned over to me and hugged me. "Thank you. I really needed that."

"You're welcome."

He kisses my cheek and pulls away from me. "I'm sorry about what happened in the kitchen, it's just..."

I shook my head at him. "Brian, you don't have to tell me anything, okay? If you need to apologize to someone, it has to be everybody in the kitchen."

"I don't know if I can go back in there, Chris," Brian said.

"We don't have to. Let's just sit out here, okay?"

He nodded his head. "Okay."

"Good." I went over to him and sat down on his lap.

"Chris, what are you doing?" Brian asked.

"Nothing. I'm just sitting on your lap." I swung my legs over to the side of him. I ran my hands through his short curls. "You look nice with your haircut."

"Thanks." He closes his eyes and leans onto my chest.

I looked up at the sky. It's starting to get dark and the stars are already in the sky. I've never actually paid attention to the sky at night, and now I've just realized how beautiful it is.

"Have you ever counted how many stars are in the sky?" I asked.

"I tried. I got pissed."

I laughed. "Yeah, I bet you did."

I saw Brian close his eyes again and breathe into my chest. I twisted a curl on one of my fingers. I felt him giving a kiss on my chest. I don't want to let him go. Not yet.

"Chris?" Brian said.

"Yeah, Brian?"

"What happened when you and Seth walked out of the gas station?"

"Brian, you don't want to hear it," I said.

"Please tell me, Chris."

"I don't want to."

"Please?" He started to kiss my neck. I groaned as he bit down on my neck.

"Okay, okay." I put one of my hands in the back of his head and the other on his back. "When we walked out of the gas station, we ran into three guys."

"Who were the three guys?" he asked.

"They were...they were..." I held him tighter when I said the names, "Caden, Toby, and Matthew."

There was sudden silence after that.

"Brian?"

No answer.

"Brian?"

I started to feel him holding on tight on my hips. "What happened?" he asked angrily.

"Well, um, they asked Seth where's..." I stopped after that because I couldn't bear to finish that sentence.

"Where's what?" Brain asked.

I hold onto him tighter when I said, "'Where's your faggot brother?'"

Brian gripped on me a lot tighter and I whimpered in pain. "And then, Seth got mad and told them, 'At least my brother's not in prison.'"

"He said that?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, and then Caden grabbed Seth and slammed him against the building. And then I punched Caden in the face, and then Matthew grabbed me and slammed me against the building too."

"Oh my God. Are you okay?" Brian looked up at me.

"Yeah, Brian, I'm fine."

"You're sure?"

"Of course I am. If they hurt me really bad, I would've said something."

Brian took a deep breath. "Okay. Then what happened after that?"

"Well, this girl came out of the gas station and threatened to get the manager, and of course they didn't take that seriously. But then the weirdest thing happened after that."

"What happened?" Brian asked.

"When I told them what my name is, they put us down and left."

"That is weird," Brian said.

"Yeah, I know." I ran my hands through his hair again.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Brian asked.

"Well, I was fine until you grabbed on really tight to me," I said.

Brian noticed what he was doing and let go of me. "Sorry."

"It's fine. Do you want me to make you feel better?"

"How're you gonna do that?" he asked.

"Like this." I leaned over and kissed across his jawline

"Geez, Chris," Brian groaned when I kissed his neck. "I thought we were taking things slow."

I lifted my head up and looked at him. "Hey now. You tried to put your hand in my pants earlier," I playfully scolded him and he laughed. "And besides, you gave me a kiss for my birthday, so I'm going to give you something."

Brian leaned back into his chair when I grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled it down a little. I leaned over to his collarbone and started to suck on it.

"Are you giving me a hickey?" he asked.

"Mmm hmm." I continued to suck on him and I heard Brian shudder and hold on tight to me. I sucked his skin between my teeth. I heard him gasping and put his head on my neck. I could feel him lick my neck and I took a sharp breath and stopped sucking on him. I leaned back and smiled at him.

"So are you ready to go back in?" I asked him.

He nodded his head.

"Good." I got off of him and held out my hand to him. He took it and stood up too. We both walked to the house, holding each other's hands. When Brian opened the door, I let go of his hand. Everybody looked at us when we stepped through the doorway.

"I'm sorry, everybody," Brian said.

"No, Brian. I'm the one who should apologize," Laurie said. "I thought the picture would make you happy, considering everything that happened last year when..."

Brian waved his hand. "It's okay, Aunt Laurie. I'm fine now."

"You're sure?" Penelope asked.

Brian nodded his head.

"Okay then. Let's have some cake."

After we had the cake, Brian drove me home. He stopped in front of my house. "Thanks for the ride," I said.

"No problem."

We both sat there in silence.

"So I guess I'll see you later," I said.

"Yeah." He leaned over and kissed me on the cheek. "Bye, Chris."

"Bye." I got out of his pickup and went inside the house.

I did my homework and got ready for bed. I kept thinking about the picture Brian got. Does it have something to do with last year? I thought he got over what happened. Seeing the picture must've gotten him mad again. I still wondered what happened, but I'm still going to let Brian tell me when he wants to.

♥️♥️♥️

Feel free to comment if you like.