Chapter 41

"Another weekend of doing homework," Seth said next Friday.

"Can't wait until Christmas break," Xavier said.

"Can't wait until Summer break," Austen said.

"You guys staying home during Christmas break?" Emma asked.

"Yes," we all said.

"I was thinking the day after Christmas, we should have a Secret Santa at my house. Whaddya say?"

"That sounds good," Jane said.

"Great. I'll just have to talk to my parents about it and see what they have to say," Emma said.

"See you guys later," I said. Seth, Jane, and I walked over to Brian's locker. Ever since Brian and I had been hanging out a lot more, he offered Jane and me a ride home. I was worried about Mariah, but she told me it's fine, and Vivienne rides the same bus as we do.

Brian took his backpack out of his locker. "Are you guys ready to go?" he asked.

"Yeah, let's go," I said. I only took a couple of steps then I felt something hit my back. I turned around and looked down on the floor to see a ball of paper. I looked up to see Malcolm smirking at me.

"Real mature, Malcolm," I said.

"I know," he said, then he threw a pencil at me.

I stormed over to him. "Malcolm, what the hell is your problem?" I asked through my clench teeth.

"Let's see: Your prudish personality, you stupid clothes, your ugly face. Mostly you," he said with another smirk.

I grabbed him and smashed him by the lockers. He grabbed me and slammed me by the lockers on the other side of the hallway. Jack and Brent separated us before Malcolm and I could get any further.

"Knock it off, you guys," Jack said.

"Let me kick his ass," Malcolm said.

Gabriella comes forward and stands in front of Malcolm. "Malcolm, you can't hurt Chris again or you'll get expelled. Do you want that to happen?"

Malcolm's body relaxes. "No," he said.

"You should go, Chris," Brent said.

I nodded my head and walked away. Just as I got to the door, I heard Malcolm yell, "If you think me kicking your ass isn't the worst thing that happened to you, wait until tonight!"

I stopped and turned. Tonight? What does he mean by that? What's going to happen tonight?

"Let's go, Chris," Jane said, pulling me out of the school. We walked to Brian's pickup and got in. He turned it on and drove off.

On the way home, I thought about Malcolm's words. What's going to happen tonight? Is he going to murder me in my sleep? I hope not. He's probably saying that just to scare me.

We stopped at the elementary school where Jane got out. Brain dropped me off at my house next.

"Bye, Chris." He kissed me on the mouth. "See you later."

"Bye." I got out of the pickup and walked into the house. I went downstairs to my room and threw my backpack onto my bed. I watched a movie on my TV and read more of The Outsiders until Grandpa called for supper.

Mom and Dad came home as Grandpa was putting food on the table. We had fish, rice, and fried potatoes for supper. During supper, Mom talked about one of her patients who came in with a broken arm after she attempted to jump over cans on roller skates. When I asked where she got an idea like that, Mom said it was from a book she read and thought that would be a good idea, considering that the character also broke her arm. We all laughed. It's nice to have the entire family at the dinner table that's not on the weekends or the holidays. It's great we get to hangout and tell our stories.