Chapter 9

Chris P.O.V.

My family and I walked to the football field. Mom and Dad both got off at six to come to the game with us. My brothers and sisters and I each brought a blanket just in case we got cold.

We got to the field a few minutes before the game started. I see Xavier standing with a few people that's probably his family. A man with gray hair standing with Xavier saw and waved at us. "Dominic, nice to see you again!" He shakes my dad's hand.

"We saw each other an hour ago," Dad said.

"I know."

"You two know each other?" I asked.

"Yeah, I work for this guy at the police station," Dad said.

"I'm surprised you didn't tell him, considering Chris and Xavier are in the same class," Mr. Duncan said to Dad.

"So is Mariah and Preston," Dad laughed.

"Who's Preston?" I asked

"Shane's other son," Dad said. "Xavier didn't tell you. Or Mariah?"

"I barely interact with Preston," Mariah said.

"And Xavier's not much of a talker," Mr. Duncan said.

I thought about Monday when Jane and I tried to include Xavier into our conversation, but he barely said a word. "Yeah, he really isn't."

A woman with dark hair and olive skin came up right next to Mr. Duncan and linked his arms with hers. "Yeah, that's our Xavier. It's hard to talk to our boy sometimes."

Xavier came up to us with two boys and a girl; they must be his sister and brothers. They all have dark hair, green eyes, and olive skin. I saw that one of them is wearing a prosthetic leg. Nate started to stare at the boy with the prosthetic leg.

"What're you guys talking about?" Xavier asked.

"Mostly about you," Mr. Duncan said.

Xavier rolled his eyes. "Thanks, Dad."

"No problem, son."

Nate is still staring at the boy with the prosthetic leg. He has scars on his arms, a tattoo on his bicep, and is wearing a tank top and shorts. How the hell is he not cold?

Xavier noticed that Nate's staring at his brother and yelled, "Can you stop staring at my brother!"

Nate started to cry and hold onto Mom.

"Xavier Nolan Duncan!" his mom yelled at him.

"What? He was staring at Lucas!" Xavier said.

"That's okay, Xavier." Lucas bent down directly at Nate's face. "He's probably just curious about my leg, aren't you, little guy?"

Nate wiped his eyes and nodded his head.

"Well, I got into a really bad car accident a few years ago, and I had to get my leg amputated," Lucas said.

"What does amputated means?" Jacob asked.

"It means I got my leg cut off."

Mariah started to shiver.

"Cold, Mariah?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, sure," Mariah said. Liar.

"Now, Xavier, you apologized to this young man right now," his mom scolded him.

"Sorry," Xavier mumbled.

"Good. Now why don't you and Christopher go look for your friends?" Mrs. Duncan said.