Chapter 5

Brian's P.O.V

"So how was your guy's summer?" my friend Spencer Lewis asked me and my other friend Tristan Franklin.

We're in the library for one of our AP courses. Well, we aren't mostly doing anything besides talking and going on the internet.

"It was good: I went to Little Falls, had fun with Kalani, went to basketball camp in Red Lake Falls, and started football."

"'Fun', huh?" Spencer raised his eyebrows.

"Not that kind of fun, dumbass," Tristan said.

"What about you, Brian? How was your summer?" Spencer asked.

"It was okay." I picked at my nails.

"Um, okay," he said. "So anything new going on?"

"No," Tristan and I both said.

"Okay then."

"Hey, are you going to Jack's party this weekend, Spencer?" Tristan asked.

"Yeah, I am," Spencer said.

As they talked away, I stared off into another direction. Jack invited us to his party yesterday, and Spencer and Tristan were ecstatic to go, but I'm not. I have personal things to deal with, and going to a party is not going to help me with it.

My mind goes to the boy who was being pinned by the lockers by that jackass. When I saw Malcolm making a fist, I had to do something. I went over to Malcolm and grabbed him, making him hit the lockers on the other side of the hallway.

When he looked up at me, I could've sworn I've seen him before. I then recognized him as Christopher Carrera, Louisa and Esteban Carrera's grandson that I've only seen in their picture frames at their house. I must admit, he looked cuter when he was younger, but now he's really good looking. I wonder what it would be like to-

"Brian! Brian!"

"What?" I almost jumped out of my seat when I heard someone say my name.

"I asked you a question," Tristan said.

"What did you ask, Tristan?" I rubbed my eyes.

"I asked you if you're coming to the football game on Friday," he said.

"Why?"

"I just want to know if you're coming or not, that's all," he answered me.

"Absolutely not."

"Why not?" Spencer asked.

"You guys know why."

"Dude, come on. Is it because of Caden, Toby, and Matthew?" Tristan asked.

"What do you think?" I asked with a snide remark.

"Okay, really, Brian. They still can't blame you for what happened with their brothers," Spencer said.

"Well, they still do." I went back to my laptop, but Tristan slammed it shut.

"Really, Tristan!" I yelled at him.

Sophia Hathaway walked to us and sat down beside me. "Guys, Mrs. Roswell wants you to keep your voices down."

Spencer, Tristan, and I looked over at Mrs. Roswell, who's giving us a warning look before looking back at her computer.