Chapter 2

My brothers and sisters and I walked to Plummer Elementary School. As Mia, Jacob, and Nate walked into the school, Mariah and I waited outside with the other high school kids for the bus to take us to the high school in Oklee.

I looked around and saw there are mostly kids who looked like they could be in seventh to my grade and some of the older kids. All I could think about is whether or not I would make friends with these kids.

I felt someone grabbed my arm. I looked to see Mariah smiling at me.

"It's going to be okay, Chris," she said. "You'll wait and see."

I looked ahead of me and bit my lip. Part of me is hoping she's right, but the other part is that she's wrong and it's going to suck.

Finally the bus came, and we boarded the bus. Mariah and I sat down behind the driver.

"Hey. What's your name?"

I looked across the aisle and see a girl with sandy brown hair and light skin with freckles across her face.

"Christopher Carrera," I answered her.

"Oh. You must be the new kid in our class." She reached her hand out. "I'm Jane Angelo."

I shook her hand. "Nice to meet you."

"And is the person sitting next to you your sister?" Jane asked, leaning forward in her seat.

"Uh...yeah. This is Mariah." I turned to see Mariah looking out the window. "Mariah, say hi to Jane." Mariah gave Jane a smile and a little wave before looking back out the window.

I turned back to Jane. "She's not usually like this."

"Must be really nervous about starting her first day at her school, huh?" Jane laughed.

"Not really. She seemed excited this morning."

"She was probably faking it." Jane sat back on her seat.

Mariah looked back and gave Jane a glare before looking back out the window.

"Sorry," Jane said. She turned towards me in her seat. "So why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself."

I told Jane about my family, where we came from, my old friends, and why we moved here. When she asked me if my grandparents are Esteban and Louisa Carrera, I told her they are. She told me how sorry she is about my grandma. I told her that's alright because she's now peaceful in heaven. Jane gave me a smile after I said it.

Then Jane told me a little about herself. She has an older sister name Dakota who just started college and her dad is the principal at the elementary school. When I asked her about her mom though, she said her mom died from breast cancer when she was eight. She likes listening to Melanie Martinez and K-pop music and likes to watch horror films.

The bus driver slowed to a stop at the school and cranked the doors open. We all got off the bus and entered the school. I looked around when I entered and saw a bunch of kids at their lockers.

Oh boy, I thought. This is going to be great.

I went to my locker and opened it. When I put my bag in my locker, someone jumped right on me.

"So what do you think of this school so far?" I turned to see Jane smiling at me.

"Jesus, Jane! You scared me!" I shut my locker door.

"Well, sorry," she said. "I want to introduce you to my friends, then we have to go to the gym."

"For what?" I asked her.

"For the welcome back assembly." She grabbed my arm. "Come on, let's go.

She took me to where there are a few kids standing by the gym doors. A girl with long brown hair and glasses turned and smiled. "Hey, Jane. What took you so long!" She walked over to us and gave Jane a hug.

"Oh, I was just showing the new kid around." Jane put her arm around me. "This is Christopher Carrera."

"Oh, you must be the new kid in our class." The girl gave me a hug. "I'm Emma Franklin. What do you think of our school so far?"

"It looks a lot smaller than my old school," I said.

"Easier to find your classes, right?" she asked.

"Yeah, I guess."

Emma started walking back to the other kids, waving at us to follow her. "You'll do okay at this school. Come on, let's introduce you to our other friends."

I walked back with Emma and Jane to the other kids, where one of them is telling a story.

"And then when she saw the ring, he got down on one knee and says, 'Janet Leigh Morris, will you make me the happiest man in the world and be my wife.' Then Janet started to cry and said yes."

"That sounds so beautiful," one of the girls said.

"It is." The guy looked over at Jane, Emma, and me. "Oh, hey. I was just telling these guys that my sister got engaged."

"Finally," Jane said. "Lionel and Janet have been together, for what, ten years?"

"Six," he corrected her. Then he looked over at me. "Who's the new guy?"

Jane put her arm around me. "This is Christopher Carrera, the new kid in our class."

"Oh, hey." He went over to shake my hand. "You must be Esteban and Louisa's Carrera grandson. Heard so much about you."

"Really?" I asked him.

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry about your grandma though," he said.

"It's fine."

One of the girls came forward. "You know, your grandma talks about you and your family all the time. She didn't tell us how cute you are."

"Um...thanks?"

"No problem. I'm Layla Gomez. And these guys," she pointed at them one at a time as she introduced them, "is Paul Morris, Xavier Duncan, Danielle Berry, Rachel Kelley, Austen Jefferson, and Seth Walker."

"Nice to meet you all."

Paul looked at his phone. "Come on, guys. The assembly's going to start  soon." He ran into the gym and we started to follow him.

"Come on, Chris. You can sit with us," Jane said.

I smiled at her when she said that. I think this year is going to be great.