Chapter 39

"Are you prepping the turkey?" Mom asked Dad.

"Yes, honey," Dad said.

"And who's making the cranberry sauce?" she asked.

"Sofia's gonna," Grandpa said.

"Good."

It's Thanksgiving at eight in the morning, and almost my entire family is here, helping make the Thanksgiving dinner. We've been up for almost an hour to cook for Thanksgiving.

"When are we going to have breakfast?" Natalia asked, who's sitting at the counter with me.

"I'm making pancakes right now," Aunt Isabelle said, who's mixing the batter. She turns to Grandpa. "Do you have something I can cook the pancakes on?"

"Sure." Grandpa opened one of the cupboards and pulled out a griddle. "Here you go."

"Thanks, Dad." Aunt Isabelle set it on the counter and plugged it in. "Why don't you two wait in the living room with the other kids until breakfast is ready?"

Natalia and I walked into the living room where Mariah, Mia, Jacob, Nate, Diego, Sarah, and Louisa are watching Scooby-doo. Natalia and I sat down on the couch next to Diego and Mariah.

"Is this the end to every Scooby episode- the bad guy is wearing a costume?" Mia asked.

"Yep," Diego said. "Let's watch Spongebob instead."

"Mom said we're not allowed to watch that show," Nate said.

Diego groaned. "Fine. We'll stick with Scooby-doo."

My phone buzzed in my hand. I looked to see a text message from Brian.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Natalia looked at my phone. "Who texted you?"

"Brian."

"Oh, really?" Her smile widened.

"Natalia, be quiet," I said.

She giggled and leaned back against the couch.

I texted back, Happy Thanksgiving to you too. What are you doing today?

Going to one of my grandparents for supper.

Which ones?

My mom's parents.

Okay then.

What are you doing for the next three days?

Hanging out with my family. Why?

Just wondering.

What are you doing for the next three days?

On Saturday I'm going to see a movie with Spencer, Sophia, Michelle, Kalani, and Tristan.

What movie?

No clue. I only know we're going to the drive-in at Warren.

That'll be fun.

It won't be fun without you there.

"Aww, that's sweet," Natalia said.

I swatted at her arm. "Knock it off."

Like I said, I'll be with my family.

I understand. I'll see you later.

We heard the door open. "We're here!" I heard my uncle Rafael say.

"Uncle Raf!" Jacob and Nate said. They jumped up and gave him a hug.

"Hey, boys," Uncle Rafael said, hugging them back. My aunt Amanda comes in from behind.