Chapter 12

Meredith 21, Derek 22 (continued)

As Derek cradled Meredith to his chest, he could see the doctors frantically trying to resuscitate Ellis. On the 3rd charge, the doctors stopped when her heart did not beat again. The main surgeon came out and frowned sadly, and with a shake of his head, Derek knew for sure that his girlfriends mom had died.

"Mer?" He asked softly as he pulled away from the embrace. "She's dead, isn't she?" Meredtih asked. "She is." Derek replied sadly. Merediths eyes filled with tears again and Derek brought her in close again. "How about we go to my house for a few days while we get everything figured out?" Derek asked softly. Meredith nodded against his chest. When Meredith calmed down a little and stopped crying, Derek led her to his car.

Meredith was silent the whole drive, resting her head against the cool glass window. She was thinking about the things she had to do. Plan the funereal, get her stuff from the nursing home, do something with the house. Her mind was racing. "Mer?" Derek asked, pulling her out of her thoughts. "We're here." He said. Meredith nodded numbly and walked around the car to his side and wrapped an arm around his waist. "I love you." She said quietly. "I love you too." Derek replied as he used the key to open the front door.

On the way, Derek texted his mom what happened and that they were coming over, so Carolyn knew what was coming. "Derek? Meredith?" She called out. "Yeah mom, it's us." Derek replied. Carolyn came over and immediately noticed the sad expression on Merediths face. She pulled Meredith into a big hug and squeezed tightly. "I'm so sorry Mer." She murmured. Meredith squeezed back and tried to get the tears at bay. Carolyn let go of meredtih and brought her son into an embrace. "Take care of her." She whispered into his ear. "I always do." Derek whispered proudly. "Mom, I think we're gonna try to get some sleep. It's been a long day." Derek said. Carolyn nodded and the 2 went straight to dereks room.

"Want to change?" Derek asked softly. "Yeah." Meredith replied, her voice hoarse. Derek handed her one of his sweatshirts and a pair of his sweatpants which both were practically falling off of Meredith, but she didn't care. She climbed into dereks bed next to him and got as close as possible. "My mom is dead." She said as she rested her head on his chest. Derek slid an arm behind her back, rubbing it soothingly. "She is." Derek agreed. "I don't know how to feel." Meredith said. "That's okay." Derek replied softly. Meredith nodded and snuggled into his body. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Derek pulled out his phone and texted Addison and Mark. "Her Mom passed away earlier. Staying at my
House until the funeral." He sent. He immediately got a text back. "We will be down in a few days. Let us know when you plan everytbing." Addison texted. He smiled in relief knowing that his girlfriend would have all her closest friends including him with her.

Time jump: 3 days

Meredith got out of dereks bed the day of the funeral and changed into a black dress and black dress shoes. Derek changed into a tuxedo, and styled his hair. Meredith curled her hair and put on some light make up. "Ready?" He asked quietly. "No. But let's do it." Meredith replied. Derek led Meredith out into the kitchen where he met his family. All of his sisters came back for the funeral, and Meredith really appreciated it. Meredith nibbled on a piece of toast before it was time to go.

They arrived at the graveyard and joined the small group of people. Soon enough, the graveyard was filled with people, surgeons from Seattle and Boston Meredith recognized. Meredith stood up front with Derek, and was greeted by many people. "We are gathered here to honor the memory of the late Dr. Ellis Grey. She is survived by her daughter Meredith Grey. Ellis was a very talented surgeon, and she was an even better woman." The funeral director started. He went on and on about Ellis surgical talent and her fierceness in the OR.

When Ellis was lowered into the ground, that's when the tears starting falling for Meredith. She leant down and placed a flower on her casket as a tear rolled down her face. Derek put a hand on the small of her back and kissed the side of her head. "You're okay." He said, feeling her tremble against him.

As people cleared out when the funeral ended, she was approached by many surgeons, one being Dr Richard Webber. "Meredith." He said. "Richard." Meredith said as he wrapped her arms around him. Back in Seattle, he was like her surrogate father. "I'm so sorry Meredith." He said as he pulled her close to his chest, holding her much as he did when she was a child. "Thank you." She said. "Thank you for making her happy." Meredith whispered. Richard smiled and pulled away. "Ill see you soon Mer. Feel free to text me or call me." Richard said. He walked away and Meredith smiled to herself as she was approached by many more surgeons.

"Meredith. My name is Miranda Bailey. I was your mother's intern, and I just wanted to tell you that she was a force of nature. I'm sorry for your loss." Bailey said to Meredith. "Thank you Dr Bailey." Meredith said. "Are you a pre med?" She asked. "I am." Bailey replied. "You are gonna do great." Bailey said as she walked away. Meredith smiled and walked back to the Shepherd family, Mark and Addison. "Thank you guys for all coming. You didn't have to do that." Meredith said. "That's what family is for." Christopher replied as they all embraced in a group hug.

After the funeral, they all went back to the Shepherd house and had dinner. "I wish you guys didn't have to go back to school tomorrow." Carolyn whined. "I know mom. But maybe we can come for thanksgiving." Derek suggested. Carolyns eyes lit up and she smiled. "Yes!" She yelled. Derek laughed and nodded.