Chapter 68

Derek woke up first, naturally. Today was their 18 week appointment. Today they could maybe hear their babies heartbeat and see him again.

Meredith was curled up next to him, her bump nuzzled into his body. Derek went under the covers and put his head gently on her bump.

"Hi baby. I'm your daddy. Today we get to see you again. We can't wait to see you little man." He whispered.

"Your mommy is still sleeping, so I have to be quiet. When your older, I'll take you fly fishing. Or if you want to play with dolls, I'll do that too. I can't wait to see you."

"Mm what are you doing?" Meredith mumbled. "Talking to the baby. Go back to sleep." Derek replied. "Now I'm up. Stupid baby bladder." She grumbled as she went to the bathroom.

Derek chuckled and sat back up against the pillows. Meredith came back and sat down. "Sorry for waking you up." Derek said with a sympathetic face.

"It's okay. It was bound to happen." She replied, kissing him gently. "How long have you been up?" She asked.

"Not too long." He replied. "How are you feeling?" Derek asked, caressing her stomach. "Good." Meredith asked.

After a moment, Meredith looked to Derek. "Do we have any cupcakes?" She asked. Derek raised his eyebrows and looked back. "You want cupcakes? At...630 in the morning?" He asked.

Meredith blushed. "Nevermind." She said. "I can make some cupcakes. Or buy them quickly at the store." Derek offered. Her random cravings never seized to amaze him.

"No, it's okay. You're right, it's only 6:30." She said. "How about you get in to the shower and I'll run to the store and get them?"

"Okay." She said with a grin. "Chocolate or vanilla?" He asked, getting out of bed. "Chocolate please." She said adorably.

Derek reached over the bed and kissed her softly. "I'll be back soon." He said before leaving.

Meredith got out of bed and into the shower. Her hands cradled the little life living inside her as the water ran down her body. "We're so excited to meet you little guy. And I'm going to totally milk this cravings thing, so keep that up." She whispered.

And that's when she felt it. The guppies. Her sisters and Carolyn talked about it when they visited. Meredith pressed her hand against her stomach and smiled.

Her baby was moving. It wasn't kicking, really, it felt like fluttering in her stomach. Meredith finished her shower and got out. She looked at herself in the mirror, a grin plastered to her face. She couldn't wait to tell Derek.

Meredith got herself dressed quickly and went downstairs just as Derek returned home. "Derek!" She squealed. "What?" He asked with a grin.

"I can feel him." Meredith said excitedly. "You can?" Derek asked surprised. Meredith nodded. "Oh! There it is again. Can you feel?" She asked, grabbing his hand and pressing it against her stomach.

"Did you feel that one?" She murmured. "No." He said with a frown. "He might not be strong enough yet." Meredith said. "He's ready for the appointment. Here." Derek said, thrusting a cupcake into her hand.

"Thank you!" She exclaimed, her eyes lighting up. Derek nodded. "Ready to go?" He asked. Meredith nodded and grabbed the whole container before leaving out the door.

•••

They got to the hospital and went up to the OB floor, where they were taken to a room. Meredith lifted her stomach up as Dr Ryan squirted the gel on.

"How have you been feeling Meredith?" Dr Ryan asked as she prepared the ultrasound. "Pretty good. I have to pee a lot though. Like, a lot." She responded.

Dr Ryan chuckled. "That's just going to get worse, I'm afraid." She said with a smile. "Are you ready to see your baby boy again?" Connie asked.

"Yes." The two responded. "And...there he is. Looking healthy as possible." Connie said as she moved the probe around. "He looks okay?" Meredith asked. "He does. He seems a little small, but we still have a long way to go in this pregnancy. Other than that, he looks perfect." Connie replied.

"Can we...the heartbeat?" Derek breathed. Seeing his baby boy in utero always made him breathless. Connie nodded and pressed a few buttons and the sound played.

Steady, and rhythmic. It was perfect. "Wow." Meredith breathed in awe. "It's magical, isn't it?" Connie asked, smiling. This is why she loved her job.

"He's....Derek, that's our baby." Meredith said. "I know, Mer." He replied, staring at the screen.

Connie concluded the appointment, and they left the exam room on cloud 9. "We made a life, Derek. That's....he's....wow." Meredith said happily. "When we get in the car we have to drop off a copy of the heartbeat to mom and dad." Derek said, grinning widely.

They got into the car and drove off. "You want to do anytning today?" Derek asked. "Eat cupcakes and watch tv. My back kinda is sore today." Meredith admitted.

"You didn't say anything this morning." Derek said, frowning. "It's not a big deal, it's not bad right now. Just a little sore." She responded as Derek pulled into the driveway.

They got out and Derek made Meredith sit down on the couch. "Can you get more cupcakes?" She asked. "Sure. Anything else?" Derek replied. "Maybe a water?" She suggested. Derek nodded and went off.

He came back a little while later and sat down next to her. He shifted so that she was in between her legs and started kneeding his fingers into her back. Meredith moaned in pleasure and sighed in relief.

"Does that feel okay?" Derek asked softly. Meredith nodded. "Yes. Thank you." She moaned as she put on the tv. "I love you." He whispered into her ear. "I love you too."

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you have any suggestions for further chapters, please let me know. Thanks for reading!!