Chapter 65

Today was their last full day in New York. They had a plane tomorrow at 6am. The two of them slept in. That was, until Derek woke up to his nieces happy squeals.

Derek went downstairs and met his family in the living room. It was a rainy, overcast day in New York.

"Good morning Derek." His mom said with a warm smile. "Hi mom." He replied, sitting down next to her. "We were just talking about you." Carolyn said.

"Really? About what?" Derek asked curiously.

"About how your going to be father. The first Shepherd baby in the family." Nancy replied, smiling. Derek grinned. "Keep going." He urged.

"We were talking about how your going to be just like me." Christopher said with a cocky grin as he came into the living room.

"Oh yeah?" Derek asked, raising an eyebrow. Carolyn nodded. "You know, when we found out about...all of you, really, your father talked to my belly every single day." She said.

"I do that." Derek said softly. "You are going to be an excellant father, Derek. There's no greater joy than holding a baby, your baby, for the first time , I'll tell you that for sure." Christopher replied.

"I can't wait." Derek breathed as he saw his wife enter the room. "Good morning." He whispered as Meredith sat down next to him. "Mm...morning." She mumbled sleepily.

"How did you sleep?" Derek asked quietly. "Good. You?" Meredith responded. "Good." He echoed. "How's our little man doing in there?" Derek asked with a smile, putting his hand on her bump.

"He's good. He wants Mac and cheese." She whispered.

Derek smiled. "What kind?" He asked. "Can we have the Kraft box kind?" Meredith asked adorably. "I think so. I'll go make some." He replied, kissing her gently before getting up and going to the kitchen.

"The baby wants Mac and cheese or you want Mac and cheese?" Lizzie asked with a smirk. "Both." She replied with a grin.

"Use that to your advantage. When that baby comes you'll both be very busy." Carolyn said knowingly. "Oh, I will." Meredith replied.

"Have you felt the guppies yet?" Kathleen asked.

"Guppies?" Meredith asked with a raised eyebrow. "It's not the baby kicking exactly, but you can feel him. It's like blowing bubbles kind of, but in your stomach." Lizzie replied.

"Not yet then. How far along do you normally get them?" She questioned. "I got them first at 16 weeks, I think with Derek." Carolyn replied. "I got mine at 17." Lizzie said.

"So soon then?"

"Probably." Nancy replied as Derek came back into the room with a steaming hot bowl of Mac and cheese. "Here you go." Derek said as he handed the bowl to her.

"Thank you." She said, smiling. "Nothing like a good old healthy breakfast." Derek said, receiving an elbow to the ribs.

Meredith dug in to her Mac and cheese while they chatted for a while. "What do you guys want to do today? The weather is supposed to clear up soon." Carolyn asked.

"Maybe we could go shopping somewhere." Amelia suggested. "Sounds good." Lizzie replied. Meredith was really not in the mood for shopping, but she would go.

•••

Meredith dressed in a pair of jeans that were getting too tight, and a sweater that showed off her bump. Derek dress in some casual jeans and a pull over.

They left the house and drove together. Once they got there, they got out and began shopping. "We should get the baby something. Sometning that says New York." Meredith suggested as they walked hand in hand through the busy New York streets.

Sure enough, the rain had cleared up and it was a chilly overcast day. "Can we go in here?" Meredith asked as stopped in front of a baby store.

"Sure. I need to buy my grand baby an outfit anyways." Carolyn replied.

They walked in side the store and went their separate way. "Want a onesie?" Derek asked. "Yes. Maybe a Yankees one?" Meredith said with a smirk. "Hell yeah."

They found a Yankees onesie and held that. "Can we get him a blankie? I remember mom and dad bought me one when I was like, 4 or 5. I loved that thing." Meredith asked hopefully.

"Sure. I still have mine. What happened to yours?" Derek asked curiously. Meredith smiled sadly. "My mom threw it away when I was probably around 7. Said it was too childish and that I had to grow up and stop being a baby."

"That's awful, Mer." Derek murmured. "It's fine. It was a long time ago. Anyways, we won't be doing that to our son. Or any other children that come our way." She said sternly.

Derek grinned as they got to the blankie section. "What about this one? The tags are so cute. And it's blue. That's adorable. Or should we get a white one?" Meredith asked. "Doesn't matter to me. I had a blue one, I think." Derek replied.

"We'll get the blue one. White might not be a good thing with a boy." Meredith decided.

After a few more minutes, they checked out and resumed shopping. Carolyn had gotten at least 3 new outfits for the baby, as did all the women.

•••

They stopped for lunch, and once again, Meredith got more Mac and cheese. "That's a real craving, huh?" Derek asked, smiling as his wife wolfed down a big bowl of Mac and cheese.

"I guess so. It's so good." Mereidth moaned as she took another spoonful.

"Oh, I love you Mer." Derek breathed. "I love you too. And this Mac and cheese. And our son." Meredith replied.

Hey guys! So sorry for the short chapter, hope you guys understand. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your doing well. If you have any suggestions for future chapters feel free to drop them. Thanks for reading.