Chapter 47

Residency. It was something interns and Med school students dreamed of. The thing is, it wasn't guaranteed. It was hard work to get there. And yet, here they are.

Meredith and Derek woke up at 5 and quickly got ready. "We're residents, Derek! That's insane!" Meredith exclaimed. Derek chuckled and gave her a quick kiss before running downstairs.

They left the house quickly and drove to the hosptial.

•••

Once they got there, they both changed and parted ways. Meredith went to her interns, who were waiting by the nurses station.

"Let's go." She said sternly, walking off quickly.

"I have 5 rules, memorize them." Meredith started. "Rule number 1, don't bother sucking up, I already hate you that's not gonna change. Trauma protocols, phone lists, pagers, nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run."

"Your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours. You'll work until you drop and don't complain. Here's the on call rooms, sleep when you can, which leads me to rule number 3, if I'm sleeping, do not wake me unless the patient is dying. Rule Humber 4, the patient better not be dead before I get there, understood?" Meredith asked. She changed it up a little, but it was still similar.

One of the interns raised her hand. "What's your name?" Meredith asked. "Lexie Grey." She replied. Meredith gulped, remembering the encounter she had with the girl earlier. "You said 5 rules, that was only 4." Lexie said.

Merediths pager went off. "Rule number 5, when I move you move." Meredith said, running off quickly to the pit.

•••

Dereks speech to the interns went similarly as well. He didn't say what Bailey said, but it was close. "I wonder if Dr Shepherd is married." He heard one of his interns whisper.

"Probably. Look at that face." Another whispered. "And the body."

Derek just chuckled and turned around. "Don't talk about your colleagues like that. And for the record, I am very happily married." He said with a smile, watching the two interns face turn bright red. "Sorry Dr Shepherd." They mumbled.

•••

A little while later around lunch time, the 4 of them sat down for lunch. "My interns are idiots." Mark grumbled. "Mine were talking about how hot I am." Derek said.

Meredith frowned and looked at him. "I set them straight and told them I was very happily married." He said, kissing her softly.

"My interns are clueless too." Addison said. "One of my interns think she's my sister." Meredith blurted. "What?" All 3 exclaimed.

"Yeah. I ran into her before vacation and she's like "I'm Lexie Grey. I think I'm your sister." Meredith imitated poorly.

"How?" Mark asked, getting a kick from Addison. "It would've had to be my dad, I guess." Meredith replied, stabbing a piece of dereks salad and eating it.

"Did you talk to her?" Derek asked softly. "No. And I'm not going to. I don't need a sister." Meredith said stubbornly. "Mer-"

"I gotta go." Meredith said, her pager going off. Derek sighed as he watched his wife run off.

•••

"What is it?" Meredith asked, walking up to her intern. "Mr Jenkins needs a central line." The male intern, Steve said quietly. "So? Do one." Meredith replied, annoyed.

"You don't know how." She said in realization. He shook his head sheepishly. "Alright. I'll show you." Meredith sighed, stepping in to the patients room.

"There. Now, next time you have one, I want you to page me and I want to watch, okay? See one, do one, teach one. That's my motto. Well, Dr Baileys motto. Anyways, that's not the point. Might wanna write that down. Nice job Steve." Meredith said before walking out of the patients room, right into Bailey.

"Grey. How's it going?" Bailey asked. "It's alright." Meredith replied. "I saw that. Nice job. You were patient, somewhat nice, and taught him. I taught you well, didn't I?" Bailey asked with a smirk.

"You did, Dr Bailey." She replied. Bailey chuckled. "How was your vacation?" She asked. "It was really nice and relaxing. I love work, but it was nice to get away." Meredith admitted.

"Good. I'll see you around Grey." Bailey answered before walking off.

•••

Hours and hours later, their shift was finally over. Derek chuckled when he saw Meredith slumped over by the nurses station. He saw her interns in the corner, getting ready to leave.

Derek bent down and shook her shoulder gently. "What do you want?" Meredith groaned, not picking her head up. "Want to go home?" Derek asked with a small smile.

Meredith nodded and stood up, grabbing her bag and dereks hand. "Tired?" Derek asked, giving her a bear hug, knowing the interns were watching.

"Mhm." Meredith mumbled into his chest. Derek wrapped his arm around her waist and the two of them walked past meredith and dereks interns. "Goodnight." Derek said with a professional nod.

•••

The two of them got home and stumbled inside. Meredith fed Shep and walked him outside while Derek made some dinner.

She came back in and sat down at the dinner table. "I do not miss 48 hour shifts." She groaned as she halfheartedly ate her pasta.

Derek chuckled. "Neither do I." He replied.

After they finished eating, they both changed into their pajamas and climbed into bed. Meredith curled up to dereks warm body and sighed. "Get some sleep Mer. I love you." He whispered. "Love you too." She mumbled sleepily.

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter, and to whoever requested this chapter, I hope it lived up to your expectations :)
Hope your all doing well.