Chapter 78

Back at work, the sparkle pager contest back in full swing. Meredith still relaxed in the pit or in the ER, waiting for a case to come in that she could diagnose.

"Grey, you want in on a surgery?" Bailey offered. "Yes. Please." She replied. "It's a long one. Tumor removal." Bailey said.

"That's fine." Meredith replied.

A few minutes later, Meredith and bailey were scrubbing in. "Grey, you know when you scrub in to surgeries like these you probably won't get enough points." Bailey pointed out as they entered the OR.

"I know. There's no way I could ever win either way. I'm a whale and I can't run around like they can." Meredith replied. Bailey chuckled and grabbed a scalpel.

The two began the surgery, but about 25 minutes in, Meredith had to pee. "I'll be back in a minute. I gotta pee." She said as she scrubbed out.

Bailey laughed to herself. She knew what it was to be like a million weeks pregnant and a surgeon. It was definitely not easy.

Meredith came back minutes later and rescrubbed. "When are you going on maternity leave, Grey?" Bailey asked, starting a conversation.

"I'm planning on 36 or 37 weeks. I have to get as much hours as I can before I go on leave." She replied. "I went on maternity leave at...35 weeks. I have a feeling you'll be forced by the chief to leave earlier." Bailey said honestly.

"I hope not." Meredith replied. "How far along are you now? 31? 32?" Bailey asked. "33 weeks." She replied. Bailey nodded. "Any names for the little guy? Is Shepherd excited?" She asked. Bailey never usually pried this much into her interns social life, but this was exciting. Her baby was having a baby.

"No names yet. Nothing sounds right. We went over to dereks family's house yesterday. Or, my family too I guess, but no one had any good names. And yes, Derek is very excited. You should see the nursery." Meredith said with a laugh.

"Clamp. That's great, Grey. I'm happy for you. Do you want to close?" Bailey asked. "Yes please." She replied.

•••

Meredith scrubbed out of her surgery and waddled to the cafeteria. She was starving. "Hey." Derek said, walking Up alongside her. "Hey." She replied.

"How's Dylan?" He asked casually. "Not Dylan. I dated a Dylan in high school." Meredith responded with a scrunch of her nose. "Definitely not Dylan." Derek agreed with a laugh.

"Anyways, he's good. He's actually really hungry right now and he made mommy have pee 45 times in surgery." Meredith replied, grabbing some chicken fingers and fries.

Derek laughed. "Chicken fingers and fries?" He asked with a grin.

"Yeah. What about it Mr Health Nut?" Meredith retorted. "Nothing. You're just cute." He replied simply as they both sat down.

"Because I eat chicken fingers and fries?" She asked, eating a fry. "Exactly that." He replied, giving her the usual mcdreamy grin that made her heart melt.

••••

Hours later, the two of them were at home, both on the couch with Shep resting his head on Merediths stomach.

"Derek, we really need to pick out a name. He's coming in 7 weeks and it's stressing me out." Meredith said.

"We'll find a name, Mer. Don't worry. In fact, Bailey handed this to me today. Said you told her we couldn't find a name." Derek said, grabbing a big book of boy names and giving it to her.

"Bailey has this?" Meredith questioned as she opened the first page. On that page were dozens of names, and on the rest of the pages was the same.

"She used it for tuck. So, how about tonight we look through it and forgo our tv show?" Derek offered. "Yes." Meredith replied immediately.

About an hour later, they were still on the couch, scanning through the book for names. "How about Emmett?" Derek asked. "No." Meredith replied.

"What about Cullen? That's a unique one." Derek said. Meredith shook her head. "That reminds me of twilight too much. And while Edward Cullen is gorgeous, that can not be his name." Meredith explained.

"Twilight?" Derek asked with a confused expression. "Yeah. The vampire/werewolf movie. Do you live under a rock?" Meredith replied in shock.

"I guess I do." He replied.

"What about....Steven?" Meredith asked. "Steven Shepherd? That's a bit of a mouthful, don't you think?" Derek replied. "True."

•••

A little over an hour later, Meredith and Derek got
Into bed, with still no name picked out. "I think we'll have to pick one when he comes." Meredith said with a sigh.

"It's a not a big deal if we do." Derek replied. Meredith groaned and sunk back into the pillows. "Hey, Richard asked me today when you were going on leave. The plan is still 36 weeks, right?" Derek asked.

When they bad first discussed maternity leave, Derek wanted her to go as early as possible for her safety and the baby's. But Meredith being Meredith, she wanted to work until she couldn't anymore.

"Yup. Bailey said Richard would try to make it earlier, though. But that's not happening." Meredith replied sternly.

Derek sighed. "Okay. Just...when you start getting Braxton Hicks, let me know." Derek said. "I probably will soon, but when I do you'll be the first to know about it." Meredith smiled.

Derek wrapped his arms around his wife and pulled the covers over them. "Good." He breathed. "I love you, Derek." Meredith whispered, snuggling closer to him, only their unborn son in between them.

"I love you too. And you too...Cullen." Derek said with a laugh.

"No!" Meredith exclaimed sleepily.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed so chapter and hope your all doing well. If you have any suggestions for future chapters, please feel free to let me know. Thanks for reading!!