Chapter 24

Special thanks to @merlucastan for this idea!!! Go check her out

About a month and a half after Merediths appy, Meredith and Derek got up for work at 6. They got dressed and ready for the day and met up downstairs. "Hi." Derek said with a smile as he handed her a cup of coffee in a to go mug. "Hi." She said as she hugged him quickly before grabbing the mug.

"Ready to go?" Derek asked. "Yeah." Meredith said as she admired her husbands face. Derek smirked and Meredith blushed softly. "You're cute." He said as he grabbed her small hand in his and led her out of the apartment.

Once they got to the hospital, they were immediately paged to the lobby. Sharing a confused expression, the two quickly walked towards the lobby.

"This is a mass causality. We need all hands on deck. One of the ferry boats crashed into the dock. We have a ton of patients. I want everyone out, but make sure some of the department heads stay back. Let's go." The chief said. "Oh god." Meredith whispered to Derek.

After they got changed very quickly into their scrubs, they met with their resident at the ambulance bay. "Okay,Grey and Shepherd, we're in this one. Montgomery and Sloan, your with Burke in the other. We will meet you there." Bailey said as she climbed into the ambulance. Derek helped Meredith in before climbing in himself.

They arrived at the scene and gasped at what they saw. Smoke, blood, and injured people everywhere. Coast guard was there, as were many other hospitals. "Okay. Go help as many people as you can." Bailey said as she hurried off. "Love you." Meredith said as she gave Derek a kiss. "I love you too." Derek said. They parted ways and went to tend to patients.

As Meredith scurried around to treat her 5th patient, she noticed a little girl wandering around. She slowly approached the child. "Are you lost?" Meredith asked softly. The little girl nodded and Meredith looked up right as Derek was walking over. "This is my friend, Dr...Derek. He's going to take you to find your mommy and daddy." Meredith said quietly. The little girl was hesitant at first, but she followed Derek. And with a reassuring nod, Meredith went to yet another patient.

She walked up to a patient who was lying on the ground on the side of the dock. She placed her bag with her supplies down and knelt down next to him. "Sir? Can you hear me?" Meredith asked as she checked his pupils, finding them equal and reactive. She then examined the rest of his body, looking at the large gash in his leg. "What's your name?" Meredith asked. "Charlie." He said, his voice strained with pain.

"Okay Charlie, I'm going to look at your leg. This may hurt." Meredith warned softly. The man nodded and Meredith poked around the wound, causing Charlie's pain to increase to an unbearable amount. He flailed his legs around, hitting Meredith in the process, sending her tumbling over the edge.

Meredith winced as the cold water hit her body and felt her head and back collide with something. As pushed herself back up to the surface, seeing the blood gather around her and her vision blur. Her back was excruciating. As she felt the darkness seeping in, she forced her eyes open and with every ounce of strength in her body, she swam to the lower part of the dock. She weakly pulled herself up and out of the water, laying down and closing her eyes, hoping to rid herself of the pain.

After Derek brought the little girl to a paramedic, he frowned when he saw her again, staring out at the ocean. "Sweetie, what are you looking at?" Derek asked softly. The girl said nothing. That's when Derek noticed the patient with no help. "Come with me." He said as he offered his hand. The girl took it and Derek walked to the patient.

He frowned when he saw Merediths embroidered medical bag but no Meredith. "Meredith?" He called out nervously. Nothing. "Did you see sometning?" Derek asked the girl. She said nothing but pointed out to the water. "Did she fall?" Derek asked as fear overwhelmed his body. She nodded. Derek bolted to the stairs leading down to the lower part of the dock and his heart stopped when he saw Merediths pale, unconscious, slightly bloody form on the concrete.

"Mer? Mer, wake up." Derek said as he ran over to her. Meredith moaned and slowly opened her eyes. "Der?" She asked. "I'm here. It's okay." He said. "Ow." Meredith groaned. "What hurts!" Derek asked. "Back and head." She mumbled as tears came to her eyes, her eyes shutting once again. "Stay awake Mer. We're gonna get some help." Derek urged.

He picked up Merediths small body, his heart breaking at her barely conscious cries of pain. He ran over to an ambulance, where by coincidence Bailey was. "Wha- Grey?" Bailey asked in shock. "Get her on a gurney. What the hell happened?" She asked as she noticed her half conscious form and the blood. "I domt know. I think she fell somehow into the water." Derek said as she pulled a blanket tightly over his wife's shivering form.

"Grey, stay awake for me." Bailey said as she pulled out a penlight and shined it into her eyes, her and Derek breathing a sigh of relief when they were equal and reactive. Meredith whimpered as Bailey shifted her body onto her side to examine her back. "Let's get a CT when we get back." She said as she carefully lowered her intern back onto her back.

The ambulance started moving and Derek grabbed on to Merediths hand, very worried for his wife. "Meredith, can you tell us what happened?" Bailey asked. "P-patient was in a l-lot of a pain. Moving a lot. Pushed I-into water." Meredith said. Derek placed another blanket on her as he noticed her chattering teeth.

"Okay, let's get a CT and then Derek can help you change." Bailey said as they exited the ambulance. "What happened?" Richard asked concerned as he noticed Meredith on the gurney. "A patient accidentally hit her and she got knocked into the water. She has a little cut on her head and is complaining about back pain. We're getting a CT and then we're gonna get her settled into a room for a little while. Maybe the night just for precaution." Bailey replied. "Okay. Keep me updated please." The chief said as he walked off.

They loaded Meredith small body into the CT room and went into the scan room. "You know, I shouldn't even let you in here." Bailey said. "Family." She added. "Thank you." Derek said as he ran a hand through his hair. "What do you see?" Bailey asked her worried intern. "Just a concussion." He breathed in relief. "Grade 2, but shes okay. Now let's look at her back." Bailey said as she clicked a few buttons on the computer.

"See that? That's a slipped disk." Bailey said as she pointed to the screen. "That'll hurt for a little while." Derek said concerned. "You and Grey will take the week off." She said. Derek nodded. "Let's get her out. I'll page plastics to stitch her up, and you can change her after. I'll be in shortly." Bailey said as the two of them left the scan room and went to get Meredith.

Once they got her settled into a room, the plastics attending, insisted upon by Derek, stitched her up. Then Derek helped change her into a gown, with a little help from a nurse. Meredith awoke an hour later, right when Bailey came in.

"Grey, you're staying here tonight. Then you and Shepherd are taking the week off. Got it?" Bailey  asked. Meredith nodded. "I filed a prescription for the pain, pick it up tomorrow when you go home. I'll see you next week." Bailey said as she left.

Derek climbed in to bed beside her and wrapped her arms around her, careful not to disturb her injuries. "I love you." Derek whispered. "I love you too." Meredith replied.

Hey guys!! Pretty long chapter today, hope you guys enjoy it!! ❤️❤️