Chapter 52

Meredith woke up one morning and felt crappy. Derek was on call, so it was just her. She stumbled out of bed and went to the bathroom.

After getting dressed, she quickly left the house to make it in time for her shift.

Meredith arrived at the hospital and walked in. She felt dizzy, but she had to push through her shift. Derek saw her walk in and frowned at her pale complexion.

"Hey. You don't look so good. Are you feeling okay?" He asked, pressing the back of his hand to her forehead. "I'm fine." Meredith replied. "Are you sure? Mer, you can take a day off. You look like your going to collapse." Derek said, grabbing her elbow.

"I'm okay, Derek. I'm just tired." She insisted. "I gotta go. My stupid interns. Love you." She muttered, walking away from him.

••••

A little while later, Meredith was scrubbing in for a surgery with Bailey. "Grey, are you okay?" Bailey asked in concern as the resident swayed on her feet.

"I'm fine. Just tired." Meredith answered. "Should you be in here then?" Bailey asked. "Yes. I'm fine." She replied, entering the OR behind Bailey.

Derek watched the surgery in the gallery, concerned for his wife. She was obviously sick, but her stubbornness kept her from admitting it.

About halfway through the surgery, Meredith was very dizzy. "Grey, answer the question." Bailey snapped. "What?" Meredith asked, shaking her head to attempt to get rid of the dizziness she was feeling.

"The question. Answer it." 

"I'm sorry, I-" Meredith slurred before collapsing. Derek stood up in the gallery and raced down to the OR.

Nurses around the OR jumped into action, checking Merediths pulse and helping getting her into a gurney. "What's going on?" Bailey asked worriedly. "Pulse is thready." A nurse said.

Derek met Meredith and the nurses outside the scrub room. "What's happening?" He asked as he grabbed Merediths hand.

"I'm here, what-" Richard said, stopping when he saw Meredith. "What the hell? Get her to an exam room now." He said.

Meredith was transferred to another bed and was being examined. "Let's get some fluids going. She's dehydrated. And run some labs. Shepherd, is there a chance she's pregnant?" Richard asked.

Derek froze. "I- maybe. She would've told me though."

"Has she been showing any symptoms of a pregnancy?" He questioned. "She-she really wanted chicken last night. But I don't know." Derek stammered.

"Okay. Test for pregnancy aswell." Richard said to the nurse, who hurried off. Richard inserted an iv into her arm.

•••

Minutes later, a nurse came back with labs. "HCG levels are high. Get an ultrasound in here now." Richard ordered. "And page OB."

"She's pregnant?" Derek asked in shock. "Yes." Richard confirmed, as an OB came in. "Hi, my name is Dr Ryan. What happened?"

"Dr Grey collapsed. She's dehydrated, and she's pregnant." Richard replied. "Here's the ultrasound." He added.

While Dr Ryan prepared the ultrasound, Derek was comprehending the whole situation. His wife was pregnant. Pregnant. As In having a baby. Derek was ecstatic, but he was worried too.

"Ah, there it is." Dr Ryan said, holding the transducer over her stomach. "It's okay?" Derek asked worriedly. "Looks perfect to me. She looks about 8 weeks." Dr Ryan replied.

Just as this was daid, Meredith was waking up. "Wha?" She mumbled, sitting up. "Hey, careful." Derek said softly, laying her back down. "What's going on?" Meredith asked, noticing the ultrasound.

"We're having a baby." Derek said with a smile. "We're what?" Meredith exclaimed in shock. "You're 8 weeks along. You were dehydrated." He explained.

"We're having a baby?" Meredith asked, tears coming to her eyes. "We are." Derek confirmed, kissing her softly. "Congratulations." Richard said before excusing himself from the room.

"Is she okay?" Meredith asked protectively. "She?" Derek asked with a smile. "The baby is just fine." Dr Ryan replied, easing the couples fears.

"I want you to go home now. No more work, and rest for a few days." Dr Ryan said. "Okay." The two replied. "And my name is Connie Ryan. If you have any concerns, feel free to come here anytime." She said.

"Thank you."

•••

The two of them got into the car. "Are you feeling okay? Do you need anything?" Derek asked. "I'm okay, Derek. A little tired." Meredith replied.

"We're actually having a baby. That's insane." Meredith said. "Are you...happy?" Derek asked. "Yes. Very. I'm just....scared." She admitted.

"Me too." Derek replied. "Why? You don't have push a baby out of a very small hole." Mereditj said with a laugh. "Scared to be a dad."

"I'm scared to be a mom." She replied. "We'll learb to be parents together. And were gonna love our babies more than anything." Derek said, pulling into their driveway.

They got inside and Derek immediately made Meredith sit down on the couch. He gave her a glass of water and looked at her. "Need anything else? Something to eat..." he trailed off.

"Are you going to be protective Derek all 9 months I'm pregnant?"  Meredith smirked. "Yup." Derek replied, sitting down next to her. "Can I?" Derek asked, his hand hovering over her stomach.

Meredith nodded and lifted up her shirt. "Our baby's in there." Derek whispered, his hand caressing her belly. "Our baby." Meredith echoed, putting her hand over his.

Hey guys! I hope yoU enjoyed this chapter, pretty exciting stuff. I'm currently writing this on a plane, so that's fun. If you guys have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them. Hope your all going well.