Chapter 80

Derek woke up to his wife pushing him away. "Move." Meredith murmured. "Wha?" Derek mumbled; half asleep and confused.

"Move. 'S hot." Meredith said. Derek opened his eyes and saw the blankets on her side completely tossed and off. He shifted over to the edge of the bed.

"Are you okay?" Derek asked gently. "No! I'm sweating, I can't get comfortable, and I'm so damn tired!" Meredith exclaimed in frustration.

"What can I do?" He questioned. He knew Meredith was getting progressively more and more uncomfortable with her pregnancy. He watched all his sisters go through it.

"Deliver the baby." Meredith moaned. Derek chuckled. "I can't do that, but I can get you some tea. We're going to mom and dads In a few hours, we can try sleeping again." Derek replied.

"Okay." Meredith said. "Okay. I'll get some tea and be right back." He said, pressing a kiss to her forehead and walking down the stairs.

Derek quickly brewed up a cup of non caffeinated iced tea and brought it back up to her. "Here." He said, putting it on her nightstand and just taking a moment to study her.

She was laying propped up against the headboard, no blankets, shorts on, and just a bra on. Her very pregnant belly just in the open. "You're beautiful." Derek said as he climbed in to bed.

"I'm a whale." Meredith groaned as she drank some tea. "No, you're beautiful. My beautiful, pregnant wife." He replied, kissing the side of her face.

"I don't wanna go to work." Meredith complained. "You don't have to. You could always call out." He pointed out. "But I'm going to need to go on maternity leave and I want to get as much hours in as I can." Meredith whined as a pager went off.

"Not mine." Derek said. "Damn it!" Meredith yelled, getting out of bed. "I can go in for you." Derek offered, hoping it would make her happier.

"No, one of my patients from yesterday became unstable." Meredith said, throwing on some maternity scrubs. She quickly went into the bathroom to get ready and then came back out.

"Love you." She said before rushing out the door. "Take it easy! Love you too!" Derek yelled after her.

Meredith drove to work In a shitty mood. She pulled in to the hospital and quickly got out, putting her hand on her lower back and waddling in as fast as she could.

"What happened?" Meredith asked as she came into the patients room, finding Bailey in there already. "BP dropped, she might be bleeding again in the abdomen." Bailey explained.

"Damn. Do we have time to make sure?" She asked. "No." Bailey replied.

They got her into an OR and Meredith opened quickly, and found the bleed almost immediately. Meredith took a deep breath as a Braxton Hicks contractions came and took a step back.

She flexed her back and resumed the surgery. "You okay?" Bailey asked. "Fine. Not a lot of rOom for the little guy anymore." She replied.

"If you need a break, take one." She said. "I'm finishing this surgery and calling out. I did not want to get out of bed this morning." Meredith said sassily.

"Grey, I don't want to hear about your extra curricular-" Bailey started.

"Not because of that." Meredith cut In quickly.

•••

After surgery, Meredith scrubbed out and drove back home. Derek had the day off, so she knew he would still be there, either in his study or in the living room. Or making her lunch .

She walked into the door around noon and saw him at the stove, making her food. "Hey." He said as she came up behind him and wrapped her arms around his lower waist.

"Hi." She said, pressing her face into his back. "How was your surgery?" Derek asked as her belly pressed into his back.

"Good. It was just a rebleed, but she's back in the ICU." Meredith answered. "That's good. How's our guy doing?" He asked, turning around and putting his hand on her bump.

"He's getting crammed in there. I think his foot is stuck in my ribs right now." Meredith responded, taking her hand and pressing against her ribs. "There you go, buddy." She breathed as the foot dislodged.

"What do you think about naming him after my dad?" Derek asked suddenly. Meredith looked at him in  surprise. "Middle name." He said quickly.

"Oh, of course. You're dad has been more of a dad to me than thatcher ever was." Meredith replied. "One step closer to a full name." Derek smiled.

"SomethiNg Christopher Shepherd." Meredith said. "Something. That's a perfect name." Derek laughed. "I don't know. Is it usually this hard?" She asked.

"I don't know. We'll find a name, I promise. In the meantime, I made you a grilled cheese and some tomato soup." Derek replied.

"Thanks." Meredith breathed, sitting down at the table. "I'm sick of being pregnant." Meredith admitted. "That's normal in the third trimester. Just remember though in a few weeks we'll be able to hold our little guy." Derek said softly.

"I know. Hey, if we decide to have kids again, can you be pregnant?" Meredith asked with a grin. "I would if I could, but pushing a child out of...it doesn't sound appealing." Derek winced.

"Yeah, I'm not excited about that part either." Meredith admitted. "You still want a natural birth, right?" Derek asked. She nodded. "No drugs." She said.

"No drugs! What?" Derek asked in shock. "If I'm going to do this, I want to do it the right way. No drugs. It's gonna hurt like a bitch but I want to." Meredith explained.

"I...okay. But you can always change your mind." Derek said. "I know. And I know you'll be by my side the whole time." She replied.

"I always will be."

Hey guys!! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. Next chapter will be exciting!! Also, I'll probably wrap up this story after the birth, just a heads up. Thanks for reading.