Why?

Meredith 5, Derek 6

It was early Sunday morning when thatcher Grey decided he had enough. He was tired of being a single parent, tired of being neglected by his wife, and tired of knowing that his wife was having sex with another man. He didn't want to leave Meredith, but it was for the best, so he thought.

Thatcher packed up his stuff around 7am, before Meredith was awake. Ellis of course was at the hospital. He took every piece of clothing from the house and loaded it into a suitcase. After putting all of his belongs in his car, he went into Merediths room and kissed her forehead once last time. "I love you Meredith. I'm sorry." He whispered. He walked out of the house for the last time, and got into his car and left, his heart breaking at what he was leaving behind.

Derek Shepherd woke up early today and went downstairs. "Morning derek." Christopher and Carolyn Said in unison. "Morning mom." Derek replied as he looked out the window of his living room. "Is that Mr Grey?" Derek asked. "Yes. It looks like he's...leaving." Carolyn said with a frown as he looked at Christopher. "Like on vacation?" Derek asked. "Um, yeah, like a vacation." Christopher replied. The two parents hearts were breaking as they knew Merediths dad was leaving for good.

"Ellis is on shift right now. Did they leave Meredith home alone?" Carolyn asked, more to herself. "There aren't any cars there mommy." Derek pointed out.

Meredith grey woke up to an empty house. She got up and looked around, but there was no sign of her mom or dad anywhere. "Daddy?" She called out. No answers. "Mommy?" She asked. No answer. She started to panic and cry, and thought of what she should do. The only thing she could come up with was that she should go to dereks.

Meredith pulled on a winter coat and opened the door outside. She walked across the street and knocked on their doors, in tears. Carolyn opened the door and frowned at the little girl who was crying to herself. "What's wrong Meredith?" Carolyn asked in concern. "I don't know where mommy or daddy are." She cried. Carolyn picked her up and brought her inside. Meredith rested her head on her shoulder and held on tightly.

"It's okay dear, you're okay." Carolyn said soothingly. "What's wrong?" Christopher asked, with Derek in his arms as he came into the kitchen where Meredith and Carolyn were. "She doesn't know where her parents are. I'll call dr Grey in a minute." Carolyn replied. Meredith was still sobbing quietly. "Meredith? Do you want to play?" Derek asked. Meredith looked at him and nodded. Carolyn lowered her down and she followed Derek into his bedroom.

After a half an hour of coloring, Carolyn and Christopher decided to go up and talk to them. The two got to the door and watched the conversation. "Derek?" Meredith asked. "Yeah?" Derek replied. "I think my daddy leaved me." She said with tears in her eyes. Derek walked over to her and wrapped his bony arms around her small frame. "My daddy says bear bugs make everything better." He said. Meredith rested her head on his chest and laughed lightly.

Carolyn and Christopher watched the two hug, proud of their son for being such a nice boy. Christopher knocked lightly on the door. "Meredith?" Carolyn asked. Meredith looked over. "Your mom is working until tomorrow. Your staying with us for the night." She said. Meredith frowned but nodded. Carolyn could see the sadness in her eyes. She obviously wanted her mom. "How about we get you guys some breakfast? I made some and It's still early." Chris suggested. Derek nodded and grabbed Merediths hand and pulled her out to the kitchen.

"We have pancakes, eggs, toast, bacon. What do you want Meredith?" Chris asked. "A pancake olease." Meredith replied. He handed her a plate and some syrup and she dug in. Derek on the other hand, ate 3 whole pancakes, 4 pieces of bacon, and eggs. That Boy can eat.

"Meredith are you sure you don't want more?" Carolyn asked. "No thanks." She replied. Carolyn nodded. "What do you want to do today?" She asked the kids. "Mer, do you want to go to the trampoline place?" Derek asked. "What is that?" She asked. Carolyn was sad for the girl because obviously she doesn't get out much. "It's just a place with a lot of trampolines. It'll be fun." Carolyn said. "Okay." Meredith replied.

Carolyn gave Meredith a pair of amelias leggings and a tshirt. Those were the smallest she could find. Even though they didn't have a big age gap, Meredith was still very tiny for her age and they were very big. Carolyn smiled as he helped her change into the baggy clothes. "All set?" She asked the girl. "All set." Meredith replied with a smile as she ran out to the kitchen to find Derek.

"Derek!" She yelled. "Can we go now?" Derek asked as he stood next to Meredith. "Yes. Go to the car." Carolyn said. Derek grabbed Merediths hand and pulled her out the door. Meredith was struggling to get into the large SUV, so Derek came over and helped her up. Derek plopped himself into his seat and buckled up.

Christopher and Carolyn got into the car and drove off to their destination.

25 minutes later, the Shepherd family and Meredith arrived at the tramploine place. Christopher helped Meredith out of the car and they walked into the building. "Okay. You two stay together and be careful. Dad and I will be over here at the tables." Carolyn said. Meredith and Derek nodded and ran off to the trampolines.

Meredith and Derek jumped around for a while. "Can you do a front flip?" Derek asked Meredith. "I dunno." She replied. "I can." Derek said. He went on top of a block and front flipped off, landing perfectly. "Try it." Derek said. "But be careful." He added. Meredith nodded and stepped onto the block. She jumped off, and also landed it perfectly. "Good job!" Derek yelled as he went over and hugged her.

"Meredith! Derek!" Carolyn yelled. The kids came running to the tables. "Time to go." She said. Derek nodded and walked next to Meredith out the door.

They drove home in a comfortable silence, both kids tired after a long day of jumping. Meredith fell asleep in the car, while Derek was still awake. "We're home." Christopher said quietly. Derek looked at Meredith and smiled. "Meredith is sleeping." He announced. Carolyn went over to her door and opened it quietly. She unbuckled the seat and lifted Meredith out carefully. Meredith stirred at first, but then adjusted to being in her arms, burrowing her head into the woman's neck. Carolyn smiled as she carried the young girl inside.

She brought her to dereks room and placed her down in the bed. She figured that she would want Derek close by. Meredith was still in a deep sleep. She shut the lights off and pulled the door shut.

"Meredith is asleep in dereks bed. Is he almost ready?" Carolyn asked Christopher. "Yup. You want them in the same bed or do you want Derek on a mattress?" He asked. "The bed is fine. Meredith still seems uneasy around here, and I think she trusts Derek." Carolyn explained as Derek came out of the bathroom.

Derek walked into his room and looked confused. "Is she sleeping in here with me?" He asked. "Yes. Is that okay or do you want a mattress?" Carolyn asked. "It's okay." Derek replied. He quietly and carefully got into the bed behind Meredith and relaxed. Meredith unconsciously adjusted to the new weight on the bed and moved around, putting her head on his chest and using it as a pillow. Carolyn and Christopher smiled at the sight. "Goodnight guys."They said quietly as they kissed him and Meredith on the head lightly. Derek quietly fell asleep, Merediths head still resting lightly on his bony chest.