Chapter 56

A few weeks later, Meredith was about 12 weeks along, which meant it was time to find out the gender.

"You think it's a boy or girl?" Derek asked as they laid in bed. "Baby boy Shepherd." Meredith replied. "I think it's a girl." Derek said confidently.

"Mothers know best. I know it's a boy. I can feel it." She answered. "Okay." Derek chuckled, rubbing her very small, almost non existent baby bump.

To the naked eye, you couldn't tell she was pregnant at all. But to Derek, it was obvious. Her breasts were fuller, her stomach was tighter, and she was glowing. She was gorgeous.

"Do you want anything for breakfast?" He asked. "Do we have any Takis?" Meredith questioned. "Takis? Like, the spicy things?" Derek replied with a confused brow.

"I-yeah. You know what, nevermind. Cereal is fine." She said with a blush. "Craving?" He asked, smiling. "I guess so." She admitted. "I don't think we have Takis here but before or after our appointment we can get some." Derek said.

"Okay." Meredith replied, blushing again. "You're cute. Let's go get you some breakfast."  He smiled.

•••

Derek made Meredith some toast and eggs and they ate together downstairs. "Our baby is the size of a pea right now." Meredith said, reading from a book.

"Our little girl has to grow big and strong." Derek replied. "He will." Meredith corrected with a smirk. "We'll see about that." He said, kissing her softly.

They are their breakfast and then got into the car to go to their appointment. "Takis before or after?" Derek asked. "Hmm....before and after?" She asked, blushing once again.

Derek chuckled. "Sure. And you don't need to be embarrassed about cravings. I want to know what you want." He said softly. "Okay." She whispered as Derek pulled into a Walgreens. "I'll get a few bags." He said.

•••

Derek came back with 3 big bags of Takis and Meredith snacked on them on the car ride to the hosptial. "Good?" He asked. "Very good. Thank you."

They got to the hospital and walked in together. "Meredith Grey." She said to the nurse at the front desk. "Dr Ryan will be right with you." She smiled.

Meredith and Derek sat down and waited. Meredith anxiously tapped her fingers on her knee until Derek grabbed her hand. "Stop. Everything's going to be fine. Calm down." He said softly. Meredith nodded.

"Dr Grey, dr Shepherd?" Connie asked. They stood up and smiled, walking over to her and following her into an exam room. "So, we have an ultrasound and pelvic exam today, so everything off except the bra. I'll be back in a few." Connie said kindly before leaving.

Meredith groaned as she changed into a hospital gown. "It'll be fine. We get to see our baby again." Derek said, folding her clothes as she handed them to him.

Connie came in minutes later and got ready. "We're going to start with the pelvic exam first. Lay down and put your legs up please." She instructed.

Meredith did so and grabbed dereks hand. "I'm going to start now. You may feel some discomfort." She warned before. Meredith immediately tensed up and squeezed dereks hand as Connie began.

"It'll be over in a minute." Derek soothed. Sure enough, it was. "Good job. Everything looks good there." Connie said. Meredith breathed A sigh of relief when she set up the ultrasound.

"alright." She said, squirting the gel on and moving the probe again. "Baby Shepherd looks fantastic. Good size, placenta looks good. Are we looking to see the gender today?" Dr Ryan asked.

"Yes." The two replied anxiously. Connie moved to the right side of her belly and smiled. "Looks like baby Shepherd is a boy. Congratulations you two. He looks very healthy." 

"I told you!" Meredith smiled as tears built in her eyes. Derek laughed. "We're having a baby boy." He whispered happily. "A baby boy. A son." Meredith exclaimed, hugging Derek.

"Congratulations once again. I'll see you guys in a few weeks again." Connie said before leaving the room. "A son!" Derek said happily. "I know. And guess what?" She asked. "What?"

"Our son really really wants those takis." Meredith smiled. Derek chuckled. "That's good we have a bunch. Let's go." He smiled, helping her off the exam table and grabbing her hand to lead her outside.

•••

They got home, and by the time they did, Meredith had already eaten one whole bag of Takis. "I told you we were having a boy. I knew it. We broke the Shepherd girl curse." Meredith exclaimed, sitting down on the couch with him.

"We did." He replied, taking one of her Takis. "Did you want a girl or a boy?" Meredith asked. "I didn't care. I just wanted him or her to be healthy. And now that I know it's a he, that's still all I want." Derek replied.

"Me too. I can totally picture you in like 6 years coaching tee ball or something." Meredith said quietly. "I'll coach everything. Baseball, football, hockey. I played hockey back in the day, I'm sure you remember." He said with a happy sigh.

"I remember. I'll be on the sidelines at every game. I'm not going to be my parents. We can't do that." Meredith whispered. "We won't. We aren't. We already love our little boy more than anything. We're not going to be your parents, ever." Derek replied, holding her close.

"Okay." She whispered, reaching for a Taki and handing it to him before grabbing her own. "Cheers." She said, holding it out.

"To our son." Derek smiled, clinking the taki with hers before they both ate it.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. If you have any suggestions for future updates please feel free to drop them. Sorry for the lack of updates recently, I've been very busy. Hope you all have a great day. (Also, if you couldn't tell I really like Takis)