Chapter 39

Two weeks had pasted since the bomb incident, and now, it was Merediths birthday. January 29th. Meredith was now officially 27 years old.

Derek got up early and quickly whipped up Merediths favorite breakfast, pancakes. They didn't have work today, but instead they were going to the Shepherds house.

Derek let Meredith sleep in till around 9. As he was cooking, he felt a pair of small arms snake around his abdomen from behind. "Good morning." She said, her voice still filled with sleep. "Happy birthday." Derek said as he turned in her hold and smiled. He kissed her softly and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you." Meredith said as she rested her head on his chest. "The big 27." Derek joked. "Shut up." Meredith said with a giggle. "I love you." He whispered. "I love you too. Now let's eat." Meredith said with a smile.

They ate their pancakes and got ready. Meredith dressed in a pair of jeans and a sweater, and Derek wore practically the same thing. "Ready to go? I have presents when we get there." Derek said with a smile. "Let's go." She replied as she kissed him softly.

They drove to the shepherds house and were there in less than 20 minutes. "Meredith! Happy birthday honey!" Carolyn exclaimed as the two of them entered the house, throwing her arms around her. Meredith chuckled. "Thank you mom." Meredith responded.

"Happy birthday Mer. You doing okay?" Christopher asked as he enveloped her in a hug. "I'm okay." Meredith said with a smile as she hugged him back. "Good. Happy birthday kiddo." He repeated as he kissed her head in a fatherly manner. "Thanks dad." Meredith replied with a laugh.

Eventually everyone greeted one another and all of dereks sisters and their families arrived, along with Mark and Addison. "Happy birfday!" Riley, Lizzies 3 year old daughter exclaimed. "Thanks Riley." Meredith replied as the girl jumped into her arms. Meredith held the baby and smiled.

"Happy birthday Mer." Mark and Addison said as they both gave her a hug. "Thank you." She said softly. "Meh!" Maddy screeched from the living room
Floor. Meredith looked over and smiled at the apparently very happy 2 year old. Meredith bent down, Riley still in her arms and scooped the other baby up. "Hi Mads." Meredith said with a smile.

"Okay, present time!" Carolyn exclaimed as she ushered everyone into the living room. Meredith sat down on the couch and Riley curled into her side, Maddy with her mother now. "Me first." Derek insisted with a smile. He first handed Meredith a small wrapped box and she opened it.

"Aw Derek." Meredith cooed as she saw the ferryboat scrub cap. "Look at the inside." Derek said softly. "Extraordinary together." Meredith read. "I love it." Meredith said as she kissed her husband and hugged him. "Now this one." He said as Christopher placed a bigger, open box on the floor. Meredith looked at Derek with a questionable expression but opened the box.

Her jaw dropped as she saw the tiny German Shepherd looking at her. "You said you wanted a dog." Derek said with a smile. Meredith picked up the small puppy in her arms and looked at Derek with a huge smile. "I picked him up yesterday at a shelter." He said. Meredith hugged him tightly before a wet streak licked Merediths cheek. She laughed and looked back at the dog.

"Thank you Derek." She said genuinely. The kids all came over to Meredith and started petting the dog. "What should we name him?" Meredith asked the kids. "Shep!" Andrew, one of Kathleens kids. Meredith looked to Derek, who smiled and nodded. "Shep it is." Meredith said.

Shep laid his head down on Merediths lap while she opened other presents. "Here, open this one. It's from me and mom." Christopher said as he gave her a small envelope.

"4 tickets to aruba?" Meredith asked with a creeping smile. "For after your intern exam. We know it's been stressful for all of you, so if you guys all want to go." Carolyn said with a smile to Derek, mereditj, Mark and Addison. "Thank you guys!" Meredith exclaimed as she hugged them both. Mark Addison and Derek all said their thank you's as well.

"Thank you all for the gifts." Meredith said appreciatively as they cleaned up. "You're welcome Mer." They replied. Meredith held Shep and kissed the puppy. Derek came up to Meredith from behind and wrapped his arms around her torso. The dog was propped on her shoulder, looking curiously at Derek. "Shep." He said as he scratched the puppy's ear. "Thank you Derek. So much." Meredith said genuinely as she turned around, facing him.

"You deserve it Mer. I love you so much." Derek said as he kissed her softly. "I love you too." She replied.

They ate the cake that Carolyn baked and said their goodbyes. "Bye dears. Happy birthday Meredith." Carolyn said as she and Christopher hugged her. "Thank you for everything." Meredith said. "We love you." Christopher said. "Love you too." She replied as her and Derek walked out the door.

Once they got home, Shep got used to his new home. Derek had bought a ton of toys and they played on the floor with him for a while. "I love him Derek." Meredith said as she hugged them dog. "I'm glad." He replied as he watched his wife play happily with their new addition to the family.

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope your all doing well!