Chapter 18

Meredith 24, Derek 25

Ever since Meredith had gotten on anxiety medication, her anxiety had been much better. She hadn't had any panic attacks, and she was doing well.

For Thanksgiving break, Meredith, Derek, Mark, and Addison all decided to go home to the shepherds.

"Ready to go?" Derek asked. "Resdy." Meredith said. Derek and Meredith went to his car and got in. Mark and Addison drove in their own car.

Meredith turned on the radio and Derek and hers favorite song, 'Should I stay or should I go' by the clash played. Derek quickly turned it up and began singing, which wasn't very good.

"Should I stay or should I go?" Derek sang loudly. "If I go there will be trouble." Meredith sang. "If I stay it will be double." They both sang.

When they arrived at the Shepherd residence, they got out with their suitcases and knocked on the door. Mark and Addison left a little later, so they hadn't arrived yet.

"Meredith! Derek!" Carolyn exclaimed as she brought the two in to a big hug. "Hey guys!" Christopher said happily as he joined the group hug. They were ushered into the house and Christopher took their suitcases up.

"So how have you guys been? I know you've had some pretty bad anxiety Mer." Carolyn said. "Good. The medication I was prescribed is helping." Meredith replied. "That's good. How about you Derek?" Carolyn asked as christopher came back into the room. "I'm good, too. Excited for senior year." Derek replied. "I can't believe my babies are going to be graduated from Med school soon." Carolyn gushed. They smiled and heard little footsteps come running in.

"Aunt Meredith!" Nancy's youngest, Maddison exclaimed. Maddison was 4, and she completely adored Meredith. "Hey Maddy!" Meredith said happily as the little girl snuggled into her lap. "I missed you." Maddison said. "I missed you too honey." Meredith said. "What am I? Chopped liver?" Derek asked with a laugh. "Uncle derek!" Maddison said as she scurried over into his lap.

The rest of Nancy's kids came over and greeted their aunt and uncle, while Carolyn and Nancy were just picturing Meredith and Derek with their own little family.

Mark and Addison arrived at the house an hour later and were greeted by everyone.

Meredith, who had Maddison attached to her hip, was chatting with Carolyn in the kitchen. "So you have been doing okay, right dear?" Carolyn asked worriedly. "Yeah, I've been doing good. It...was bad at first, but Derek went to the doctor with me and they prescribed me with medication and it's really been helping." Meredith explained. "That's good. I'm proud of you for taking care of yourself." Carolyn said softly as she brought Meredith into a hug. "Thank you." She said softly.

As it neared nighttime, Meredith said goodnight to Maddison and everyone and her and Derek went upstairs for the night. Meredith crawled into dereks small twin bed, Derek close behind. He pulled the covers over them and draped an arms across her waist. "Goodnight Mer. I love you." Derek said. "I love you too." Meredith replied as she snuggled into his chest.

In the morning, Meredith woke up to small cries from outside the door around 6. She quietly got out of bed, and tried not to disturb Derek.

She opened the door and frowned when she saw Maddison on the floor crying. "What's wrong honey?" Meredith asked quietly as she picked up the little girl. "Aunt Meredith!" Maddison exclaimed. Meredith shushed her and kissed her forehead.

Maddison wrapped her chubby arms around Meredith and pressed a sloppy kiss to her cheek. Meredith walked downstairs quietly and entered the empty living room. "Why are you up so early honey?" Meredith asked. "I couldn't sleep and mommy and daddy wouldn't wake up." Maddison explained. "Are you hungry?" Meredith asked. The girl nodded. Meredith carried her into the kitchen and opened the pantry.

"Want some cereal?" Meredith asked. Maddison nodded. Meredith poured some Frosted Flakes into a bowl along with the milk and handed it over to her while she poured herself a cup of tea.

After Maddison finished her cereal, Meredith brought her over to the couch. "How about we put some cartoons on and we try to get some sleep?" Meredith suggested. "Okay." Maddison said as she yawned. They sat on the couch and Meredith put on Paw Patrol.

Meredith sat down on the couch with her legs extended and Maddison climbed in between her legs, and leant back into merediths chest. Meredith wrapped her arms around the girl and pulled a blanket over the two. Maddison was quickly lulled to sleep, as was Meredith.

Derek woke up to an empty and cold bed. He got up and saw Nancy and his mother walking out of their rooms. "I'm surprised Maddy isn't up yet." Nancy said with a chuckle. "Where's Meredith?" Carolyn asked. "I think she's up somewhere." Derek replied.

The three made their way to the living room and stopped when they saw Maddison wrapped up in Merediths arms, both fast asleep. "Maddy must've gotten her up." Nancy said. "Let's go outside on the porch. Happy thanksgiving everyone." Carolyn said with a smile. "Happy thanksgiving." Nancy and Derek parroted as they walked out to the porch.

An hour and a half later, Meredith and Maddison woke up. "Good morning." Meredith said sleepily." "Morning." Maddison giggled. Meredith lifted the girl up and walked to the voices she heard outside. Mark, Addison, Derek, Nancy, Lizzie, Amelia, Carolyn, and Christopher were all sitting. Kathleen hadn't arrived yet. "Hi Mer! Hi baby!" Nancy said. Meredith handed Maddy to Nancy and sat down next to Derek. "Happy thanksgiving." Meredith said as she pressed a soft kiss to his lips. "Happy thanksgiving." Derek repeated with a smile.

"Meredith, did she get you up early?" Nancy asked with concern. "Uh, I think around 6. She was crying at the door so I got up and made her some breakfast and we watched cartoons until we fell asleep again." Meredith explained. "Thank you for that." Nancy said thankfully. "Anytime." Meredith replied as she snuggled up to Derek.

Around 2, Carolyn started setting the feast she made, that consisted of turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and much of the other thanksgiving necessities.

The rest of the day went perfectly. At the end of the day, everyone was in food comas laying on the couch. Maddison curled up with Meredith and Derek, and everyone else watching tv and enjoying the time together.