Chapter 57

"Derek, do you ever want kids?" A 17 year old Meredith asked 18 year old Derek. "Yeah. Do you?" Derek replied.

"I don't know. I'd be a crappy mom." Meredith replied, looking down at the ground. The two of them were just watching tv on a lazy Saturday afternoon with no classes.

"I don't think you would be. I think you'd be a good mom." Derek said honestly. "Why? I grew up with an absent mother and no father. I'd have no idea how to take care of a baby." Meredith argued.

"Because you're you. You're one of the most compassionate and kindest person I know. And I'm not just saying this because you're my girlfriend." Derek said.

Meredith smiled and nuzzled into his embrace. "Really? You mean it?" She asked quietly. Derek nodded. "I do. You know, I can picture us with 2, maybe 3 kids in the future. We'll be married and have our own big house, both be doctors and work in the same hospital. Maybe even have a dog." Derek admitted.

"Id like that." Meredith whispered. "We're gonna have a good life together, Mer. I promise you."

Meredith woke up with a smile on her face. She loved when had those memories while she slept. Derek was still sleeping soundly next to her.

Meredith rested her hand on her small bump and caressed it gently. "We love you so much little man. We've dreamed of you for a while." She whispered.

"Mm what?" Derek mumbled sleeping after feeling his wife shift around in bed. "Nothing. Go back to sleep." Meredith replied, stroking his hair lightly.

"Okay." Derek said, falling back asleep at his wife's soothing touch.

•••

Derek and Meredith both woke up and went downstairs a few hours later. "I had a really good dream last night." Meredith said as she ate a taki and turkey and cheese sandwich.

"Really? Was it about last night? Because that was good." Derek smirked. Meredith blushed and shook her head. "No. Do you remember when we talked about kids for the first time?" She asked.

"Of course. Senior year for me, junior year for you." Derek replied. "That's what I dreamt about. And you know what's funny?" Meredith asked. "What?"

"It's all becoming true. We wanted the marriage, we got it, we wanted the house, we got it. We wanted the baby, we're getting it." Meredith said with a smile.

"Our dreams are coming true. And we're having that good life I promised you." Derek replied. "I love you so much." She said, suddenly overcome by the urge to kiss him as she pressed her lips roughly against his.

"Bendy thing?" Derek asked with a smirk. "Shower. now." Meredith demanded.

•••

"We have to tell the family he's a boy." Meredith said with a confident smile. "Or we could tell them it's a girl so I was right." Derek countered.

"Oh, no. I'm right. We broke the Shepherd girl curse and you better believe I'm gonna brag about it." She replied. "Okay." Derek agreed, hugging her.

"I hope he has your hair." Meredith said as Derek bent down and kissed her small bump. "I hope he has your eyes. And your nose." Derek added.

"I'm sure he'll be a little baby mcdreamy. And the girls will be fawning over him." Meredith said with a giggle. "My little man." Derek whispered, putting his hands on her bump.

"I think he'll be a mamas boy." Derek said confidently. "You think?" Meredith asked. "I do. You probably have him wired already." He chuckled. "We'll see."

"Derek?" She asked a few minutes later and she laid down on the couch. "Yeah? You okay?" Derek answered. "Do you...do you think I should go tell my mom?" She asked.

"Tell your mom?" Derek asked in confusion. "Her grave. I...I feel like I should. Our baby is only gonna have one grandma." Meredith said quietly. Derek smiled sympathetically.

"If you want to tell her, we can. I'll come with you." Derek offered. "We should." Meredith concluded. "Okay. Want to go now or..." Derek trailed off.

"Now?" She asked. "Sure." He replied, kissing her forehead.

•••

The two of them went to the cemetery and found Ellis. "How do I..." Meredith trailed off. This wasn't to see Ellis. It wasn't to make nice nice with her. This was only because she thought every grandparent, alive or dead deserved to know about their grandchild.

"Just talk. It'll get easier as you go on." Derek said. Meredith nodded. "Hi mom. It's uh, me, Meredith. And Derek. We, um, got married a little while ago. I know I should've told you."

"I'm sorry I haven't visited often. I...I'm working at Seattle Grace, like you wanted. Uh, the reason we came here was to tell you that...Derek and I are having a baby." She said, getting choked up slightly. Derek rubbed her back soothingly.

"I'm about 12, almost 13 weeks along. Everything's doing good. He's a boy, too. I just wanted to tell you that you're going to have a grandson. I love you mom." Meredith said.

She stood up and wrapped her arms around Derek. "You did good. She's proud of you." He whispered into her ear. "I miss her sometimes. She was...not the best mom, but I miss her. Our son deserves to have 2 grandmas." Meredith replied tearfully.

"I know. I know. Our baby boy is going to be loved more than any baby on this planet, okay? I promise you." He murmured, holding her cheeks in his hand.

"I love you." Derek whispered. "I love you too."

Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. Sorry for the lack of updates, it's been a busy week. If you have any suggestions for future chapters feel free to drop them! Thanks for reading.