Chapter 38

The next day, Meredith really did feel like a bomb exploded right in front of her. Every part of her body was sore. She rolled over in bed to see Derek, staring straight at her.

Meredith grimaced as she turned. "Sore?" Derek asked sympathetically. Meredith nodded. "Head hurt?" He guessed. She nodded again.

She turned to get up and then groaned. "Easy, Mer. Where you going?" Derek asked softly as he sat up. "I have to pee." She said quietly, as though not to aggravate her pounding head.

Derek moved to the side of the bed and gently picked her up in his arms effortlessly. "I can walk." She argued weakly with a giggle. "I really don't think you can." He replied back as he gently set her down in the bathroom. "Are you good?" He asked quietly. Meredith nodded and smiled at his protectiveness. Derek turned reluctantly to wait outside until she was done.

Once he heard the toilet flush, he waited for the door to open before he scooped her up in his arms once again. "Can we go downstairs?" She asked sleepily. "Sure." He said as he gave her forehead a kiss and walked downstairs.

He put her down on the couch and walked to the kitchen for a moment. Derek grabbed some painkillers and a glass of water and turned, putting them on the coffee table and sitting down next to her.

Meredith took the painkillers gratefully and relaxed into the pillows. "Thank you." She said with a small smile. "It's my pleasure." Derek said softly as he handed her the remote. She immediately put on criminal minds and started watching. Derek wrapped his arm around her and held her close.

Throughout the episodes, Meredith fell asleep, probably due to the painkillers and how sleepy she was. Derek chuckled and decided to make them both some lunch. He made Meredith one of her favorites, grilled cheese, and made himself a nice leafy salad.

As he was making them, he couldn't comprehend how close he was to losing his wife. And how Meredith seemed to have the worst luck. It scared him that the most important thing in his life could be taken away so quickly.

He saw Meredith stir and kissed her forehead gently. "I made lunch." He whispered. Merediths eyes opened and she smiled sleepily. "Let's go." She said. She grabbed dereks arm for support as the slowly and sorely walked to the kitchen. Derek desperately wanted to carry her, but knew she would want some independence.

They sat down and dug right in, making small talk. "Ow." Meredith muttered as she tried to pick up her food with her left hand. "What is it?" Derek asked worriedly. "Nothing. Just sore." She replied with a sigh. Derek smiled sympathetically and squeezed her hand.

"I feel dirty." Meredith blurted randomly. "Want to shower?" Derek asked. Meredith nodded. "I might need your help though." She said shyly. Derek smiled. "Of course Mer. Let's go." He said as he grabbed her hand and wrapped an arm around her waist.

They got upstairs in the bathroom and turned the hot water on. "Can you help?" She asked softly. Derek nodded and unclipped her bra. Standing naked in front of Derek never bothered her, and it made him smile to know how comfortable she was with him.

Derek stripped and the two stepped into the steaming shower together. Meredith sighed in relief as the hot water worked magic on her sore muscles. Derek chuckled lightly and massaged her shoulders. "Any better?" He asked in a caring tone. "So much better." She replied, eyes closed in relief.

Derek massaged the shampoo and conditioner into her hair carefully. Usually, they would be doing the bendy thing now. But not this time. This was a man taking care of the woman he loved the most in the world. It wasn't a sexual act, yet an act of love.

They got out of the shower and Derek wrapped a white fluffy tower around the both of them. He helped Meredith change into some pajamas and he into some sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Meredith was exhausted once again.

Meredith opted to stay upstairs as to not have to make the seemingly long trek downstairs. Derek helped her into the bed and she sank into the pillows immediately. "Need anything?" Derek asked. Meredith smiled and patted the bed next to her. Derek chuckled and climbed into bed beside her.

"Want to watch a movie?" Meredith asked as she situated herself in his lap. "Sure. What do you want to watch?" Derek asked as he scrolled through movies. "Oh! Can we watch that?" Meredith asked enthusiastically as Derek clicked on 'Pitch Perfect'. Derek laughed and nodded. "Sure." He said as the movie began playing.

Meredith burrowed deeper into his chest and sighed in contentment. After a very bad, very dangerous day, the next day wasn't so bad, besides being sorer that she's ever been. Derek was so attentive, so loving, and so protective of her, and she enjoyed it most of the time. No one had ever made her feel the way she does with Derek.

Hey guys!! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter, it's a filler :/ anyways if you guys have any ideas please let me know, I'm running out of them. Hope your all doing well and taking care of yourselves!