Chapter 40

At work one day, Meredith and Derek were on neuro. "Shepherd, Grey, we got a trauma coming in!" Nelson yelled. The two took off to the pit.

"You two take your own patient. I'll be with you in a minute to assess." Nelson said in a hurry. Meredith and Derek started assessing once the patient was in a bay.

"Left pupil isn't responding. We need to go to the OR now." Meredith said professionally. "Nurse, can you tell Dr Nelson were going to OR 3 and tell him to meet us there immediately?" Derek asked. She nodded and ran off as Derek and Meredith wheeled the patient into the elevator.

Everything was going well until the elevator lurched and came to a complete stop, the lights turning off and everything. "Woah! You okay?" Derek asked as he looked to his wife. "I'm good. You?" Meredith asked. "Fine." He replied as started pressing buttons to start the elevator.

"Der?" Meredith asked with concern. "I think the power went out. Keep ventilating." Derek replied calmly. Meredith squeezed the oxygen rhythmically while Derek tried to pry open the elevators. "Help!" He yelled.

Minutes later, but what seemed like hours, the elevator door opened a crack. "What did you two do?" Bailey snapped. "Nothing." Derek replied. "What's the status?" Nelson asked as he came over and got down onto his stomach. "Pulse is weak, at 43. Blood pressure is stable for the moment. But his left pupil is blown." Meredith replied.

"Oh boy." Nelson muttered. "Someone go prep me a craniotomy  kit and bring it here!" Nelson yelled. "Here?" Derek asked in shock. "We may have too
Chief, when are we getting these elevators open?" Nelson asked. "Not sure. Maintenance  guys are working right now." Richard replied.

"Dr Nelson, his pulse is way down. We have to do something." Meredith said frantically. Nelson handed her the tray of instruments. "You know how to do a craniotomy. Do it. Shepherd, ventilate." Nelson instructed. Meredith stood in shock for a moment before thrusting the manual squeeze over to Derek and picking up a scalpel. Derek took the magnifying spectacles Nelson handed him and turned the light on before placing them on Merediths head.

"You got it." Derek encouraged quietly. Meredith took a deep breath, listening to her husbands words before using the scalpel and cutting into the mans brain. "Gauze." Meredith requested quietly, in deep concentration. Derek handed her the gauze and Meredith dabbed up the bleeder flawlessly. "Looking good Grey. Close him up." Nelson said lightly.

Meredith stitched up his head perfectly as the elevator lights turned on and started to move. Once the doors opened the patient was wheeled away by Nelson and others. "Nice job Grey." Richard said as she took off her glasses and gloves. "Thank you sir." She replied. "You too Shepherd." He said genuinely.

Once Meredith and Derek were back in their normal scrubs, Derek pulled her into an on call room and smiled. "You was amazing in there." He said as he kissed her deeply. "Mm thanks." She replied as she hugged him tightly. "Seriously Mer, that was amazing. You're going to be an excellent neuro god." He said. "We'll both be excellent neuro gods. Together." She corrected with a smile. "Togetehr." He parroted.

Later that day, Meredith and Derek were asked to check up on their patient. Nelson met up up with them on the way. "Grey, awesome job today. You too Shepherd. You both stayed calm in a stressful situation. Not many residents or attendings, let alone interns can do that. You guys are gonna be good." Nelson praised as they entered the patients room.

"Dr Grey?" He asked. "That's me." Meredith replied. "Thank you. I heard what you both did. You saved my life. Thank you." The patient said genuinely. "It's our pleasure." Derek replied softly.

That night, they went home, both still on cloud 9. Mark and Addison came over to hang out at their house. "So Grey, heard about that brain in an elevator thing. That's cool." Mark said. Meredith giggled. "It was fun." She said.

"She was fantastic." Derek beamed with pride from the kitchen. Meredith blushed. "Nice job Mer." Addison said honestly. "Thanks." She replied as Derek came into the living room with a box of pizza. "How's the house been treating ya?" Mark asked as he ate. "It's awesome. We definitely designed it well." Meredith said proudly as she looked around at her and Dereks gorgeous house.

"You." Derek corrected with a laugh. "You helped." Meredith said as she nudged him playfully. Derek kissed her forehead and sighed in contentment as all 4 of them watched tv. "I can't wait for aruba." Meredith said softly. "I can't believe mom actually got us all tickets." Derek said. "We should make it some type of tradition. Like every few years we go on a nice vacation to get away." Addison suggested.

"And when we all have kids?" Derek asked curiously. "Our kids are going to be best friends. They'll love it." Mark replied. Meredith and Addison smiled at the thought of having kids, and smiled even more at the thought of their kids being best friends.

"We've come so far." Meredith said softly. "We all have." Addison agreed.

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them. Hope your all doing well'