Chapter 46

A few days later, it was time for the four to leave. They had a very early flight, so they got up at 3 and left the house. Everyone packed the night before, so that wasn't an issue.

Mark drove to the airport while the girls slept in the backseat and Derek helped with directions in the front.

"We're here girls." Derek said quietly, looking into the back. "Addie, wake up." Mark said, putting a hand on her thigh and shaking gently.

"What time is it?" Meredith asked as she stifled a yawn. "4. Flight is at 5:30." Derek replied as he offered her his hand, climbing out of the car. "I need coffee." She said.

"Don't we all." Addison mumbled sleepily as they walked through the airport. It was pretty dead there, so no lines and no screaming children.

•••

They got through checking and security with no issues and sat down in their terminal. "I'm gonna go get something to eat." Mark announced. "I'll come with you. You girls okay here?" Derek asked.

The two nodded. "Can you get me a large iced coffee please? And a donut?" Meredith asked with a smile. "Chocolate?" He asked knowingly. She nodded. "Of course. Be back in a minute." He replied, kissing her forehead before walking off with Mark.

"It's so early." Mark complained as he and Derek waited in line for Dunkin Donuts. "Hence the coffees." Derek said.

"That was a good vacation. Well needed." Mark said. "It was. Hopefully Mer relaxed a little bit." Derek replied as they stepped up to order.

"Hi, can I please get a large iced coffee, no cream and 1 sugar, and a large iced mocha?" Mark ordered. "And can I have a large iced mocha, a chocolate donut, and a medium hot coffee ?" Derek asked politely.

The two men got their drinks and food and walked back to the girls just as their plane was called to board.

Meredith and Derek sat down in their seats across from Mark and Addison and nursed their coffees. "I don't wanna go back to work." Meredith mumbled, resting her head on his shoulder.

"We still have a day off. How about you get some rest now?" He asked. "You too." She replied sleepily, halfway asleep already. Derek chuckled and closed his eyes.

•••

A few hours later, the plane arrived back in Seattle, where of course, it was raining. "Can we go back?" Addison asked as they walked to their cars. Everyone chuckled.

They parted ways and got into their own cars. After spending a week together, it was nice to be alone.

"How did you like the trip?" Derek asked as him and Meredith pulled up to their house. "It was amazing. We definitely needed that." She replied.

"Good. And that means no more panic attacks for you missy." He said with a smile. "I'll try." Meredith answered.

They walked into their house and smiled when they saw Shep looking at them from the couch. Carolyn had dropped them off earlier. "Shep!" Meredith exclaimed, running over to the puppy.

Shep eagerly wagged his tail as Meredith scratched his ears. "Were you good for grandma? Mommy and daddy are home now." Meredith cooed to the dog.

"Bags are all upstairs. What's up Shep?" Derek said as he came downstairs. "Good." Meredith said, plopping herself down on the couch.

Derek did the same and pulled a blanket over the two of them. "Ah, I want to sleep." He mumbled into her shoulder. "Me too." She whispered.

•••

Hours later, Derek woke up. Meredith and Shep were still out cold. He decided to get up and cook some food for himself and Meredith.

Being home was comforting. He loved vacation, but it was nice to be in the comfort of their own home.

Derek quickly whipped up some of Meredith and his favorite, soup and grilled cheeses and set them down on the counter.

He surprisingly wasn't too tired. After that nap, he felt good.

"Derek! How was the trip?" Carolyn asked as Derek answered the phone.

"It was good mom. And really fun. Thank you so much for the tickets." Derek said gratefully. "Oh, it's my pleasure dear. You guys seemed like you needed it." She replied.

Derek chuckled. "We did. How was Shep?" Derek asked. "Oh, he was great. He's a good dog. Dad absolutely loves him." Carolyn answered.

"Good. How's dad doing?" He asked. "He's doing good. Taking a nap right now. What about Meredith?" She questioned.

"Taking a nap as well with Shep. We had a very early flight. I just made some grilled cheese and soup for us when she gets up." Derek said. "Good. Anyways, I just wanted to call and see how it was." Carolyn said.

"It was good mom. Thank you again. Love you." He replied before ending the call.

•••

A little while later, Meredith woke up and stumbled to the kitchen. "Hey sleeping beauty." Derek teased as Meredith took a seat next to him on the table. "Hey." She replied kissing his cheek.

"Nice to be home, huh?" He asked as he took a sip of his soup. "Very." She replied with a sleepy smile. "I love you." He whispered. "I love you too."

Hey guys! Hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you have any ideas for future chapters feel free to drop them! Hope you all doing well!