Chapter 29

One day at the hospital, Meredith got a phone call from Carolyn. "Mom?" Meredith asked in confusion. "Meredith." She said in a broken voice. "Mom, what happened?" Mereditj asked worriedly. "Amelia. She-shes in the hospital." Carolyn said. "What happened? Is she okay?" Meredith asked in shock. "She overdosed. She should be okay, but I-" Carolyn trailed off. "Derek and I will be there as soon as we can. What hospital?" Meredith asked.

"Dillard medical center." Carolyn replied. "Okay mom. We will be there soon. Hang tight. Love you." Meredith said. "Love you too." She replied as she hung up the phone.

Meredith quickly checked the OR board and saw that Derek was in surgery. She rushed into the scrub room and pressed the intercom button. "Dr Shepherd." She said frantically. Bailey turned on the intercom. "What is it Grey?" She asked. "Dr Shepherd needs to leave now. It's urgent." Meredith replied. Derek looked over and immediately took in the nervous look on his wife's face.

Bailey gave a nod and sent Derek out. "What? What is it? Are you okay?" Derek asked nervously as he entered the scrub room. "I'm fine Derek., listen. It's Amelia." Meredith said. "What happened?" He asked quietly. "She overdosed. She's in the hospital with your mom." Meredith replied. "We gotta go." Derek said. "I know." She said as the two of them quickly ran off.

They arrived at Dillard medical center a half an
Hour later and quickly walked into the building. "My sister, Amelia Shepherd." Derek said to receptionist. "Room 109." She said. The two of them walked to the room and stopped in their tracks when they saw Amelias pale, sleeping form in the bed. "Mom." Derek said in shock as he walked over to her. "Derek, Meredith." Carolyn said tearfully as she stood up and hugged them.

"How is she?" Meredith asked. "She's...gonna be okay. She overdosed on oxy." Carolyn replied. "How...when did she get in to this stuff? How?" Derek asked with a raised voice. "I'm not sure." Carolyn replied as they all looked at Amelia, who moaned.

"Amelia? It's mom. We're here. Derek, go get the doctor." Carolyn said as they ran over to her. Amelia opened her eyes slowly and looked around. "Mom?" She mumbled. "I'm here. Meredith is too. Derek went to get the doctor." Carolyn said softly. Amelia weakly grabbed Carolyn and merediths hand and sighed.

"Ah, ms Shepherd, welcome back." Dr Chen said as he entered the room. "Hi." Amelia whispered. Meredith quietly walked over to Derek and grabbed his hand. He wrapped an arm around her and held her close. Dr Chen went through a series of tests, and found them all to be okay. "There seems to be no lasting affects. Your lucky Amelia." He said with a soft smile.

"Uh, one more thing. We are required to hand these out for overdoses." He said as he handed her a file of rehab flyers. "Thank you." Carolyn said. "Your welcome." Dr Chen said when he left the room.

"I know you guys are disappointed." Amelia said quietly in shame. "We are Amelia. But we're going to get you help." Carolyn said. "Why did you do it?" Derek blurted. "I...I wanted to feel alive. I...I don't know." Amelia replied as she started to cry. Meredith walked over and grabbed Amelias hand and squeezed.

"Dad and your sisters will be here soon." Carolyn said. "And in the meantime, we'll be here, so get some sleep, okay?" Derek asked. "Okay." Amelia said sleepily as she drifted off to sleep.

Derek and Meredith sat down on the couch next to Carolyn. "How did I not know she was this unhappy? I'm her mother! I should've known." Carolyn said sadly. "Amelias very secretive, you know that. She keeps to herself. This isn't your fault, mom." Meredith replied softly. "But-" she tried to argue. "No mom. This isn't your fault. We're gonna get Amelia the help that she needs." Derek stepped in.

An hour later, Christopher, Nancy, Kathleen, and Lizzie all arrived in a hurry. "Is she okay?! What the hell happened?" Christopher exclaimed as he and the girls ran into the room. "She overdosed on oxy. She should be okay." Carolyn replied as she embraced her husband tightly.

"Was she awake yet? How are her vitals?" Nancy asked worriedly. "She woke up earlier. She was fully receptive and conscious. The doctor came in and checked her out. Everything's okY." Carolyn replied. The sisters and Christopher breathed a sigh of relief and looked at Amelia.

Meredith excused herself from the room for a moment to call Bailey. "Grey, what's up? Where you at?" She asked. "Uh, Derek and I had a family emergency. Is it okay if we take a few days off?" Meredith asked. "I'll have to talk to the chief,  but I'm I'm sure it'll be fine." Bailey responded. "Okay. Thank you dr Bailey." Meredith said. "Your welcome Grey. Take it easy, we'll see you back in a few days." Bailey said before she hung up the phone.

Meredith walked back into the room and smiled when she saw Amelia awake again and talking. "She's okay?" Derek asked Meredith. Even if he knew she was, he needed that confirmation from the person he trusted the most in the world. "She's okay." Meredith said softly as she hugged her husband. "I love you." He whispered. "I love you too."

Hey guys!  Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I you have any ideas, let me know.