Chapter 35

During the next few days, Meredith was trying. She was really trying to be happy and really trying to believe Derek when he said she was extraordinary. She couldn't though. Meredith still felt worthless. Her therapy appointment was in a few days though, so she hoped that would help.

One day, Derek Thought of something that may help her. "Dad?" He asked as he called him. "Derek, what's up son?" Christopher replied. "I have a favor to ask." He said. "What is it?" Christopher asked curiously. "It's Mer. She's...been really upset lately. Thatcher was in the hosptial with his wife and daughters, and long story short his wife died suddenly and said some really bad things to Meredith." Derek explained.

"Hold on. Thatcher has another family?" Christopher asked in disgust. "He has 2 other daughters. Both younger than Meredith." Derek replied sadly. "What did he say to Meredith?" Christopher asked angrily. "Some awful things. He said she'd never be anything, said she was an awful doctor, just like her mother." Derek replied.

"And why did he say that again?" Christopher asked. "His wife, she was post op from some minor procedure and just collapsed. Meredith happened to be outside and helped, but it was too late. He...he hit her dad." Derek whispered at the end. "He what?" Christopher exclaimed loudly. "He...slapped her. I..." Derek trailed off. "I'll be over in an hour to talk to her." Christopher said softly.

"Okay. Thanks dad." Derek replied. "Anytime." He replied before hanging up the phone. "Hey Mer?" Derek asked as he came into their bedroom. Meredith looked up from the bed and flashed a small
Fake smile. "I talked to dad. He's gonna come over and talk to you." Derek said nervously, hoping her reaction wouldn't be too bad.

"Okay." Meredith said simply. She was grateful that Derek was trying to help her. "Really? Your not upset?" Derek asked. "No. I appreciate you trying to help. I don't...I don't want to feel like this anymore." Meredith admitted quietly. "I know. You'll be alright." Derek said as he took her into his arms.

An hour later, Christopher arrived at the door. Meredith answered and he immediately wrapped her in his arms. "We love you." He whispered. Meredith sniffled as she hugged her father in law. Derek was sent to go do errands until they were finished.

"I heard what happened. Derek told me." Christopher said as they sat down on the couch. "Yeah." Meredith said quietly. "You nothing he said was true, right?" He asked. Meredith stayed silent. "Meredith, none of it was true." He said sternly. Meredith gave a slight nod. "Get up." He said.

"What?" Meredith asked. "Get up." He said firmly. Meredith stood up and followed him. "Get your coat." He said softly. Meredith grabbed her fleece and they walked out the door.

They got into Christopher's car without a word. "Where are we going?" Meredith asked. "You'll see." Christopher said simply.

They arrived at the shepherds house and got out. "Let's take a walk." He said softly. "You know, I used to take walks with you all the time when you were a kid. When you were angry, sad, or when you just needed to get out of the house. It was just us." Christopher started. "Mer, you've been through a lot of hurt in your life. And you never deserved any of it." He said.

"See right there?" Christopher asked as he pointed to the cul de sac in front of them. Meredith nodded and looked. "That's where we taught you how to ride your first bike. You fell so many times, but you got every single time. You've grown into a strong woman, Meredith. Don't let that pathetic excuse for a man bring you down." Christopher said as she looked at her.

"I don't know why...I just feel...I don't know." Meredith said quietly. "It's okay to not be okay. Just you can ask others for help and allow others to help." Christopher said softly. Meredith nodded as tears started to fall. "I got you." He said as he hugged her close. Meredith let herself cry in her fathers arms. They may not be biologically father and daughter, but dna doesn't make you a family.

Christopher took Meredith home feeling a lot better. He said goodbye and left Meredith and Derek back alone. "How you feeling?" He asked. "A lot better. Dad is a miracle worker." Meredith said with a chuckle that Derek hadn't heard it weeks.

"What do you say we watch a movie and relax before work tomorrow?" Derek Suggested. Meredith nodded and quickly changed into pajamas and met him back on the couch. Derek had sent his father  quick text. "Thank you." He sent. Derek could tell that whatever his father had said to her really helped her feel better, and he was grateful.

Derek wrapped an arm around her on the couch and she snuggled up close. "Thank you." She said softly. "Anytime Mer. I love you." He replied. "I love you too." She whispered.

Hey guys!! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I love the Christopher/Mer relationship, and I put a lot of that in this! If you have any suggestions for next chapters fee free to drop them!! Hope your all doing well!