Chapter 2

Meredith 4, Derek 5

Meredith was beginning her first day of preschool today, while Derek was beginning his first day of kindergarten. Meredith was super nervous.

Thatcher got Meredith dressed in a cute pink dress. Ellis, naturally was already at work. Thatcher did her hair in a braid and gave her a bowl of cereal for breakfast. He could tell she was nervous because she wasn't talking much. "Meredith, are you nervous?" He asked. Meredith nodded. "Don't be nervous honey. We have to go now." Thatcher said. Meredith got up from her chair, grabbed her backpack that was bigger than her, and grabbed her fathers hand and walked out the door.

Derek Shepherd on the other hand, was excited for his kindergarten yesr. His best friend, Mark was in his class, so he was happy. Derek got changed with the help of his father, went downstairs and ate some breakfast. "Derek, let's go!" Carolyn yelled. Derek scurried off his chair, grabbed his bag, and walked out the door, his mother close behind.

Meredith and thatcher arrived at the school drop off, and were in line. "Have a good day, Mer. I love you so much." He said. He got out of the car and lifted Meredith up. He kissed her forehead and put her down gently. Meredith grabbed onto his leg and clung on for dear life and started sobbing. "Nooo." She cried.

Derek got out with his mother and saw Meredith crying in the distance. He and his mom walked over to her. "Meredith dear, what's wrong?" Carolyn asked softly. "Don't wanna go." She whimpered. "Come with me." Derek said. Meredith reluctantly let go of her fathers leg and stepped over to Derek, who was holding his hand out to her. She took his bigger hand in hers and started walking to the school. "Don't be scared. Preschool is fun." Derek said. "Will you be with me?" Meredith asked. "No. But we can play after school." Derek replied. Meredith nodded. "Bye Mer. I'll see you after school." Derek said. He gave a big hug and pulled away, running off with his friends. Meredith slowly walked over to her classroom, trying to make some friends.

Thatcher was worrying about Meredith all day. Meredith is a very shy, quiet kind. All he wanted her to do was make some friends. She doesn't have any in this part of town. She doesn't have a good relationship with her mom. She needs someone. Although her and derek have gotten very close, he wanted her to have some more friends. Derek is 2 years old than her, too. Thatcher just kept worrying until it was time to pick her up.

Carolyn was worry free. She had short shift today at the hospital, so she would be able to pick up Derek. She actually felt bad for the poor little girl this morning who wanted her mommy, but was also proud of her son for stepping up and helping her. Carolyn already knew that those 2 would be best friends forever, even despite their age gap.

Meredith was having a good time. She didn't make any friends, but she was happy with her doll that she was able to bring. "Meredith, do you want to play with some friends?" Her teacher Ms. Lee asked. Meredith shook her head. She didn't want to talk to strangers. Meredith didn't want to be friends with anyone other than Derek.

When the school day ended, Derek made sure to find Meredith to make sure she got home safely. Even at age 6, he felt protective of Meredith. "Hi Mer." Derek said as he found Meredith wandering around trying to find her way to the car pick up line. "Derek." Meredith said as she came over and grabbed his hand. Derek and Meredith walked out together.

"Bye Derek." Meredith said as she got into her dads car. "Bye Mer!" Derek replied.

"How was your day munchkin?" Thatcher asked. "Good." Meredith replied. "Did you have fun?" He asked, trying to get more out of her. "Where's mommy?" Meredith asked. Thatcher sighed, knowing she was missing her mom. "Mommy is working." Thatcher said sadly. "She's always working." Meredith said. "I know Mer." Thatcher said.

"How was your day Derek?" Carolyn asked. "It was good. I got to play with Mark." Derek said happily. "And did you see Meredith at all?" She asked. "No. I walkeded her in and at the end of the day I found her wandering around in the hall." Derek explained. Carolyn felt bad for the young girl. "Oh." Carolyn said.

"Mommy!" Meredith yelled as Ellis walked through the door. She ran over to her and hugged her leg tightly. "Meredith, I don't have time for this. Go up to your room." Ellis scolded. Meredith frowned and walked upstairs to her room.

"She's wanted to see you all day." Thatcher said as Ellis came into the kitchen. "Well, I have to work. I don't have time for her." Ellis replied. "You don't have to work 18 hours a day, Ellis. You could come home every once in awhile. Meredith misses her mom." Thatcher replied. "I don't really care. If I want to be the best surgeon possible, then I have work a lot. Deal with it." Ellis said before storming off towards her room. Thatcher sighed, knowing that something was gonna have to change if he was gonna stick around.

Meredith decided to play with her barbies tonight, instead of her anatomy Jane doll. "Meredith, what are you doing? Why aren't you playing with anatomy Jane? You'll learn more with her. Stupid girl." Ellis yelled as she came into Merediths room.

Meredith burst into tears and jumped into her bed to bury her face in her pillow. Thatcher, who heard the whole thing, jogged upstairs and opened Merediths door. His heart broke when he saw Meredith crying into her pillow. He walked over to her bed and sat down, taking her sobbing little body into his arms. He held her close and let her cry. "Mommy's mean." She cried. Thatcher smiled sadly. "I know Meredith. I know." He murmured.