Chapter 5

Meredith 15, Derek 16

Meredith and Derek were as close as ever. Meredith as as sophomore, and Derek as a junior meant they had lunch together at school. They sat together everyday.

After school Derek drove Meredith and himself home. Derek was a newly licensed driver, and he loved to drive whenever possible. So, he drove Meredith and himself to school everyday.

"Want to get ice cream?" Derek asked. "Hell yeah!" Meredith said with a grin. Derek smiled at her enthusiasm.

10 minutes later, they pulled up at the ice cream parlor. They got out of the car and walked inside, side by side. Meredith ordered a double fudge sundae, while Derek kept it mellow and ordered a strawberry cup. They got their ice cream and sat down next to eachother on a nearby swing.

"So how is school going?" He asked. "Good. All As." She replied with a smile. "That's good. I'm proud of you Mer." He replied as he wrapped an arm around her, pulling her close. Meredith smiled at his comment. All she ever wanted was someone to be proud of her, and she was glad that Derek was. "What about you?" Meredith asked as he turned and looked at him. "It's good. I have all As too and football is going well." He replied. "I'm proud of you too Der." She responded.

Derek turned and their eyes locked. Derek leaned in slightly and closed his eyes. Their lips locked together in passion. Derek brought his hand up and cupped her face gently. The pair pulled away and smiled. "Wow." Meredith said, her face blushing. "Wow." He replied with a chuckle.

After they finished their Ice cream, they walked back to the bar and drove home, hand in hand.

Once they got to their neighborhood, Derek looked at Meredith. "Want to come over for dinner?" He asked. "Sure. I doubt my mom is home anyways." Meredith replied. They pulled into the driveway and walked into the house, meeting Carolyn in the kitchen.

Carolyn, bring an observant woman, knew something was different between the two. She could tell by the way they were standing closer to each other, not even realizing it. "What did you two do?" She asked. "What do you mean?" Derek asked. "You two kissed." Carolyn said confidently. Merediths face turned beet red, same as dereks. "I knew it was a matter of time anyways. Congratulations!" Carolyn said, embarrassing the two even more.

Meredith and Derek turned to go upstairs to his room, but he was stopped by Carolyn. "You two are old enough now so I think I can trust you, but doors must be open 3 inches at all times. No closed doors or being somewhere alone. Your too young to be doing stuff. You understand?" She asked. "Yes." Derek replied as Meredith nodded.

They went upstairs into dereks room and Meredith plopped herself down on his bed, Derek doing the same. "You know, I'd normally tell my best friend about this and freak out, but I can't because your my best friend." Meredith said with a chuckle. Derek laughed. "Well, you can still tell me. I'll go to best friend Derek for a minute." Derek replied.

Meredith smiled. "Well, I had my first kiss today." She said. "How was it?" Derek interupted, flashing a cocky smile. "It was great." Meredith laughed. "I'm going back to boyfriend Derek now." Derek said. Meredith nodded. Derek leaned in and kissed her lips softly. It was quick, but passionate, just as the first time. Meredith pulled away and blushed. "Meredith! Derek! Dinner!" Carolyn called. Derek helped Meredith up and they walked downstairs to the kitchen to begin eating the feast Carolyn made.

"So, Meredith is your mom home tonight?" Christopher asked. Meredith shook her head. "I doubt it. I haven't been home but I'm assuming she's still working." Meredith explained. Carolyn hated that woman. "You can stay over if you want to." Carolyn offered. Just as Meredith was about to respond, her phone rang. "Sorry, I have to take this." She said before leaving the dinner table and disappearing into the house.

"Mom?" She answered. "Meredith, get home. Now." She said sternly. "Why?" Meredith asked. "We need to talk." She replied. Meredith sighed and hung up the ohone. She walked back into the kitchen. "My mom wants me home for some reason." Meredith said. "Why?" Derek asked. "I don't know. She wouldn't tell me." Meredith replied.

"Bye Der." Meredith said as he gave her a hug. He enveloped her in his arms and smiled. He pulled away after a minute and kissed her on the forehead quickly. She smiled and left the house.

"Mom?" Meredith called as she opened the door and entered the house. "Meredith? Is that you?" Ellis asked as Meredith entered into the kitchen. "Yeah. Are you okay? Why did I have to come home?" Meredith asked.

"How about we sit down?" Ellis suggested. Meredith nodded, confused. Meredith sat down on the couch next to Ellis and waited for an explanation. "Well?" Meredith asked, getting impatient. "I've...recently been forgetting things and getting confused. I decided to check it out and I have early onset Alzheimer's." Ellis announced. Meredith gasped, her heart breaking. "What?" Meredith cried. "Early onset Alzheimer's. You know what that is, right?" Ellis asked. Meredith nodded. "I can still work, just not do surgeries. I just wanted to let you know." Ellis said. "Speaking of which, I have to go. I'll see you later." Ellis said before walking out of the door, leaving Meredith starstruck.

Meredith needed to cry and rant. She called the one person she knew to call, and of course it went on voicemail. "Derek? Call me when you get this. I need to rant and cry." Meredith said into the phone as she sat down on the couch, crying.

Derek was sitting on the couch when the home ohone went off. "Derek! Can you answer the ohone?" Carolyn asked. "It'll go to voicemail." Derek replied. A few minutes later, it did. "Derek? Call me when you get this. I need to rant and cry." Merediths voice said on the phone. He looked at his parents and got up to dial her number. She picked up the phone and he put it on speaker. "Mer?" He asked. "My mom has Alzheimer's." Meredith cried as she sobbed. Carolyn and Christopher's mouths dropped open in surprise. "I'll be over in a minute." Derek said as he hung up the phone went to grab his jacket. "Make sure she's okay." Carolyn said. "I will. I don't know if I'll be home. If that's okay." He said. "It's okay." Christopher replied.

Derek opened the door and his heart broke when he saw Meredith on the couch, sobbing and clutching a pillow. He walked over to her and pulled her into his arms. She sobbed into his chest.

After she calmed down, Meredith sat up, still close to Derek. "Want to go to sleep?" Derek asked. Meredith nodded. She got up off the couch and Derek followed her up the stairs. Meredith jumped into her bed. "Goodnight Mer. Call me tomorrow." Derek said as he started to walk away. Meredith reached out and grasped a handful of his shirt. "Wait. Stay. Please." She asked. Derek smiled and nodded. He got in bed beside her and wrapped an arm around her waist, sighing in contentment.

"I love you Meredith." Derek said quietly.

"I love you too." Meredith replied.