Chapter 73

Today, Meredith and Derek had one thing on their to do list. Shopping for the baby and starting to renovate the nursery.

They got up around 8, the baby's kicks waking Meredith up. "I swear he's gonna be a soccer player." Derek said in amusement as he put his hand on her stomach.

"Tell me about it." Meredith mumbled. "Hey baby, I know you really want to show us your growing and healthy, but stop kicking for a little bit. Mommy and I have some shopping to get done for you and your kicking is uncomfortable." Derek said, his gave down by the baby.

Meredith smiled and ran her fingers through his hair. "Has he stopped?" Derek asked.

"Actually, yeah." Meredith said in shock as she felt nothing. Derek smirked. "That's my boy." He praised.

•••

About an hour later, the two of them were on their way to Baby's R Us, a store that was just for baby stuff.

"What color do you want to paint the walls?" Derek asked as they drove. "Probably a neutral color. Maybe a light gray?" Meredith suggested.

"Okay." He replied. "Ooh! And I want white furniture. And a blue rug mahbe." Meredith said excitedly.

Derek chuckled at how excited his wife was over decorating their sons room. It was adorable how she got so happy over the little things.

Derek pulled the car into the parking lot and they got out. Derek grabbed a cart and grabbed Merediths hand as they entered the store.

"So, what do we need? We still have a while until we need everything." Derek asked. "Well, how about we start with the most important?" Meredith said.

"Okay. So maybe a crib, dresser, and changing table to start today?"

"Yeah. And I'm sure we'll find a bunch of other crap too." Meredith said with a laugh.

They went up and down the aisles, until they finally found the right. "How about this one?" Derek asked, checking the crib.

"That's cute." Meredith replied. She gasped. "Look at this one, Derek." She said in awe. It was a white crib, but it had a cushion on the side on the wall, kind of like a head board.

"This is the one." Meredith said. Derek checked the cost and the reviews on the paper attached, and nodded. "Okay. We can get this one. I'll have to make mark help me build it though." He replied with a smile.

"I can help, too." Meredith said.

"No. You're 26 weeks pregnant. You and Addie can hang out." Derek said protectively. She rolled her eyes as Derek grabbed the large box and put it into the cart.

The next aisle over, Meredith picked out a dresser. It was also white, and had a ton of drawers for baby clothes and such. It had a big mirror, too.

"What about this, Mer?" Derek suggested as they came upon a changing table. It was a good height, and had the padded changing area. There were also a few drawers for diapers and such.

"This is good." Meredith smiled. Derek put it into the cart. "Anything else for today? What else would we need that's big?" He asked.

"Hmm...maybe a rocking chair? That's probably the biggest left to get. But small things, like clothes, bottles and stuff we can get layer, right?"

"Right, and if you have a baby shower we might not even have to. Just put it on the registry. So, we'll get this stuff today. And do you want to stop at the hardware store to pick up some paint too? I can start tomorrow." Derek offered.

"Yeah, let's do that." Meredith replied with a smile as they got to the line. "Derek, we have to get this." Meredith said with a sheepish smile as she held up a ferryboat bib.

Derek grinned and they bought two.

•••

After the baby's store and the hardware store, they returned home and Derek carried everything in to the house. Meredith tried to help, but of course Derek wouldn't let her.

Derek felt that Meredith was almost in the point of her pregnancy where she was in full nesting mode. Lately, she had been doing all sort of mommy-ish things.

For example, she was obsessively cleaning, which was not like Meredith at all. She vacuumed quite a bit, and always made sure the dishes were washed.

Derek found it adorable how she was doing all of these things and not even noticing. He always knew she had maternal instincts, like from their niece, Maddy, but being pregnant had just intensified them.

"Mer, do you want to start taking some stuff out of the old room for the nursery?" Derek asked. "Sure." She replied, coming in to the room with her hand on her belly.

One by one, they started moving things out of the room and putting in into their bedroom. Luckily, it was a guest bedroom, and there wasn't much stuff in it.

•••

A few hours later, Derek had cooked dinner for the two of them, consisting of grilling some chicken and steak

Meredith plopped herself down on the couch with a box of Oreos and grabbed the tv. "Oreo?" Meredith asked, holding it out to Derek.

He smiled and grabbed it. That was another thing that changed aboit Meredith during her pregnancy. Her appetite was very strong, and it never was before. He wondered if it would stay with her after the birth. It wouldn't be the worst thing for her small frame.

Derek shifted to take his wife into his arms and she cuddled into his chest. "How's the kicking?" Derek murmured.

"Not too bad. He's tired from his soccer game this morning, I guess." Meredith giggled. "That's good. Good job little man." Derek said softly.

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hope your all doing well. This chapter is short, so sorry about that. If you have any suggestions for further chapters, please let me know. Thanks for reading!!