Alice Fortescue- Baking (c)

You had started dating Alice when you were in Hogwarts and once you were finished with school, you had moved in together straight away. It was a small flat that was just about big enough for the two of you, but it was quaint and your own, so you were happy with it. You were desperately in love with her but with a war coming at any moment, you were trying to make the most of your relationship and the happiness you could find before hell came to meet you.

It was hard not to focus on the future, and you knew that Alice struggled with it too but there wasn't much past preparing that you could do. Even though you knew it wasn't of any good to you, you did worry about what the future held and worrying about everything that was happening in life.

You woke up one night whilst the moon was still high in the sky to find the side of the bed beside you empty and bare. You would have panicked quite quickly if you didn't smell the strong aroma of baked goods coming from the kitchen. For most people that would be an amazing thing to wake up to, but you knew what baking meant to Alice and how rather worrying that could be for her.

Even though you wanted to stay in bed, you got up and headed downstairs to the kitchen to see every side of the kitchen covered in wire racks with any and every type of baked good on them.

"You okay?" You asked her.

She turned to you, trying to keep a smile on her face but it wasn't hard to see straight through it.

"Of course, why wouldn't I be?" She smiled.

"It's not a normal habit to be in the kitchen baking at three in the morning," you shrugged. "And it's very easy to tell when you're stressed, because the house always smells like baked goods."

Alice gave you an apologetic expression as she took out another tray of biscuits from the oven to add to her ever-growing collection.

"What's on your mind?" You asked.

She let out a sigh. "I'm scared of what the war is going to hold. It's hard to deny that it isn't about to happen and I'm terrified that I'm going to lose you or someone else I love."

You made your way over to her and wrapped your arms around her.

"I don't know what is going to happen but until it does happen, you have me here with you and I hope that we can make the most of it."

You didn't know how to comfort her when you were equally terrified, but you did your best.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.