Neville Longbottom- Reassurance (c)

You noticed that Neville had been stuck on the same page as he had been on for the last few minutes and hadn't continued on. You had been in the transfiguration lesson when McGonagall shouted at him for his inability to do a switching spell and seen as McGonagall rarely shouted, it only hurt him more.

Gently, you rested a hand onto his arm making him snap back to reality and look up at you.

"Are you okay?" You asked him with a gentle smile.

"I feel useless," he whispered. "I can't even do simple spells."

You tried to give a reassuring smile, but you knew that he held so much self-doubt that nothing so simple or easy could relieve it for him, but you were willing to do what you needed, to help him believe in himself how you believed in him.

"You know that isn't true," you stated.

He shook his head. "It's practically what McGonagall said, even she doesn't believe I can do anything anymore. It just seems to come so natural for you."

You shook your head at him, giving his arm a tight squeeze, hoping that it would help him see that you were there for him, through any pain he felt.

"She's under a lot of stress at the moment. Everyone is and you know she doesn't really believe that. You're not incapable or stupid, if you need a little longer to grasp something or help, that doesn't make you less than anyone else, it just means you need help with this whereas other people need help in other areas," you said. "After dinner we can go over that switching spell and with a little time and a little extra help, I know you can get it."

"Why would you want to help me learn that spell?" He asked.

"You're my friend and I believe in you. Our professors need to teach a whole classroom of students, they don't have the time to focus on each of us, which may not be great, but I'd much rather know if I understand something quickly, I can help you out. I know you'll help me out with herbology when I fail to grasp any of it. We have our own strengths, yours is herbology, mine is transfiguration."

Neville looked back down to the book in front of him, a gentle twitch coming to the corner of his lips.

"Thank you, Y/N," he said. "I really appreciate it."

"Anytime."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.