George Washington- Ball (c)

Being married to a General came with a level of status that you took great joy in but also meant that on a fairly regular basis he left home for an undetermined amount of time and put himself and many other men into danger. It had felt like days since George had returned to you from the last battle and he was to head out in mere minutes to join the next.

Your heart broke every time that you had to say goodbye to him, in fear that it would be the last time. You loved him so dearly and knowing that he would be heading off into danger, destroyed every element of your being. He was a noble and charismatic leader that everyone loved but that didn't help you when you were left at home on your own, worrying that you were a moment from being widowed.

"I wish you did not have to leave," you whispered, holding a handkerchief up to your face to help catch the imminent tears.

Every time he would head off to take his role in the war it became harder and harder to let him go. There was only so many times that he could take part in a battle and come back the same man that left. So many men came back unable to sleep or think as the men they had been, that was if they were lucky enough to return at all. You didn't want that for any of them, at the very least your husband.

"You know I must," he smiled softly, raising your free hand to his lips so that he could kiss the reverse of your knuckles.

"Please come back to me safe, my love," you croaked as the tears began to fall into your handkerchief.

"Of course, my gem. I shall always come back to you," he assured you.

George's arms wrapped around you, pulling you into a warm embrace, one that you would long for whilst he was away. You clung to him for as long as you could, appreciating every touch, every smell of his freshly pressed uniform. When you pulled away, you could see the pain in his eyes even though he tried his best to hide that from you, not wishing for you to worry anymore than you would anyway.

"I will love you to my dying breath," he promised.

"As will I."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.