Eliza Schuyler- Consolation (a)

The cold air of New York City swirled and danced around you and the sounds of obnoxious laughing filled your ears. The laughing, of course, coming from Alexander and his buffoonish friends after a night of drinking that was supposed to be a somewhat elegant dinner party.

"Why does he always have to be like this?" Her head slumped into her arms. "Doesn't matter where we go or who we go with he always has to get drunk, show off and make a mockery of the both of us. He can never just sit down, eat a nice meal and at least pretend that he is more human than ape."

You often found yourself comforting Eliza, especially in situations like this, yet, she loved Alex more than anything.

"You know that whenever Lafayette and alcohol are involved, there is going to be an injury, possibly mild male nudity and really, really bad dancing." Attempts to make her laugh or even smile when she had been embarrassed by Alex almost always proved futile.

"It isn't like I haven't talked to him about it, or at least tried. He will stumble home, I will fight him out of his clothes and into his nightwear, he will wake up at noon, lie in bed for a few hours then stagger into his office to work on his bloody financial plan. Not to mention the fact that like the fool that I am, I will be at his beck and call whilst he recovers from his headache that will 'make him never want to drink or even see alcohol again'. Like he has never said that before." She became angrier and angrier, redder and redder with each sentence.

"Do you want me to have a word with Laf? I am sure that if he tones himself down Alex is sure to follow."

"Right, have you seen Lafayette? He is like a shark with blood. I think if took ten glasses of water and put even the smallest drop of white wine into one of them he would be able to sniff it out in an instant!" Now that you thought about it, he did have a pretty amazing ability to find the liquor cabinet in a household and make a beeline for it. "Forget it, it doesn't matter anyway. He works hard, he deserves to have fun, who cares if I hate going out with him?"

~*~

Written by Aaron.