John Laurens- Letter (a)

Seconds felt like minutes and minutes felt like hours as you stared out the window, waiting for the postman.

"He is always here by now..." you thought to yourself, your eyes switching between the empty street outside and the small, gold embossed pocket watch that your now distant lover had betrothed to you. The hands ticked by oh so slowly, every movement of the hand taking longer than the one before until finally, one lone man strolled up the path, a large satchel strapped to his side.

You ran through the hall and before he had a chance to slam on the door as he normally would you swung the door open.

"Oh, Mr/Miss Y/N, expecting something?" The short, bulbous man handed you a small stack of letters before turning around, getting back to his day before you had a chance to respond. Running back into the living room you scattered the stack of letters onto the floor and scoured the papers for one.

You pushed all the unwanted post to the side, mostly items for your parents from their various business partners before finding the one you wanted. A single letter, your name and address marked on the back in flowing ink, the back locked with a small, red, wax seal. Carefully peeling back, the envelope, you plucked out the letter and set the envelope to the side. The letter read;

Dear Mr/Miss Y/N, I will not dance around the subject. I miss you. Being apart from you is a fate worse than death. I miss the way you would twirl your fingers around my hair, I miss the way that when we slept together, you would hold me oh so tightly. I miss waking up next to you, the most beautiful person in the world, and we would have those little moments of just staring into each other's eyes, smiling or talking about how much we love each other. I miss the times we would dance around the kitchen and sing songs, mostly horrifically, probably akin to a woodland creature in great pain. But mostly I miss the way you would hold me when I get sad, it is oh so lonely over here and my bed is so cold at night.

I will see you so soon though my love, once the war is over I will rush back as soon as I can.

- John Laurens

~*~
Written by Aaron.