Peggy Schuyler- Overwhelmed (c)

Being the daughter of a general in the army, you had been forced to get used to going to formal gatherings and on the rarer occasion a ball. You weren't one for crowds but as the only unwed daughter, your father cared little about how comfortable you were, looking for a man whom could become your husband. You didn't want to upset your father so put on a smile and complied to what he wanted. You didn't have the heart to tell him that you couldn't care less, you couldn't bear his reaction to finding out you had a lover but they certainly wouldn't take a role as husband.

On this occasion you were to go to a ball at Philip Schuyler's home, a celebration you were sure was to find his three daughters' husband, but your father didn't mind using it to steal a man away for you. He arranged for a lavish gown for you to wear and even though you could barely breath in it, you pretended it was pleasant to wear. As soon as you arrived, your father left you to find a husband, whilst he went to grab a drink with someone whom he knew from the army.

Now on your own you instantly felt overwhelmed by the amount of people in the room. Most were in the centre of the room dancing with one another, a few people dotted around the outside. You could feel your chest become tighter and your hands become clammy as you noticed how small the room felt with so many people there. Everything felt as though it had become clouded as you tried to focus on something, anything, but everything was quickly becoming too much.

"Y/N."

A soft melodic voice brought you out of the panic enough to notice the woman in a yellow dress stood in front of you. Peggy offered you a gentle smile as she reached out a hand to take yours, not caring how sweaty your hands had become.

She was the youngest Schuyler sister and the woman you loved, not that either of you could admit that you were anything more than best friends to anyone other than her sisters. On more than one occasion she had seen you fall into such a state of nerves and she was becoming rather adept at helping you out of the blind panic you fell into.

"Shall we get some fresh air?" She smiled softly.

You nodded your head erratically, allowing her to keep hold of your hand and lead you out of the busy ballroom and out into the garden where the cold air pleasantly hit you. With no one around, Peggy allowed one hand to trail up to your cheek cupping it gently. Just having the space to breath and being away from the trigger of your panic, you started feeling less terrified and your breathing begun to fall back into your normal rhythm.

"It's going to be okay," she said gently. "We will go back in when you are ready and if you aren't ready at all then we shall not go back."

"Thank you Peg," you smiled weakly. "I'm sorry for ruining your night."

Peggy shot you a look. "You know I would rather spend my night with you out here alone than in there with so many strangers."

You offered her a gentle smile, wishing you could kiss her as a thank you but instead all you could do was offer her the grateful words for helping you calm down.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.