John Laurens- Roses (c)

In the absence of your husband it came to light how large your home was. Without him at home, it was almost silent other than the short conversations you had with your maid, and the sound of her cleaning. You were glad to have her to keep you company, but it wasn't the same, you wanted him to be here.

The regular letters that arrived for you, made you happier than you ever deemed possible, but for the last fortnight you had heard nothing from him, and it could only make you think that the worst had happened.

Your maid would usually tend to the flower beds at the front of the house, but with nothing to do, you took the duty from her, not minding getting your hands dirty.

Kneeling down on the grass, you began to preen the roses that grew outside the front of your home. You had done it before, but that didn't mean that you were able to save yourself from scratching your hands on the thorns.

As you worked your heard footsteps coming up the path. Visitors were rare when your husband was away as that meant his friends were too. Every once in a while, someone would pop by but it wasn't a frequent occurrence.

Turning from the flowers, your jaw became slack, at the person you saw walking towards you, the biggest smile possible spread on his face. His uniform was messier than it had been when he had left so long ago, but he was alive and that was all you cared for.

Scrambling to your feet, he picked up his speed as he approached you.

"John," you smiled, tears brimming in your eyes.

"Y/N," he grinned, pulling you into a tight embrace, pressing his lips firmly to yours.

As he pulled away he smiled fondly down at you, moving a hand to caress your cheek.

"Why didn't you write? I was so worried. I thought... I thought," you whispered, teardrops cascading down your face.

He gave you a gentle smile. "I am sorry to worry you, my Love. I wished to return to you as soon as possible, I was so happy that we won, and that I was returning to you, I couldn't think straight."

You couldn't be angry at him for that. He had been through enough already, and all you wanted to focus on was having him back at your home.

"Oh, I love you John," you smiled softly. "I am so glad you have returned."

His smile dropped, being replaced by a concerned expression as he noticed the blood on your palms. He raised both of your hands, cupping them in his.

"What happened?" He asked gently.

"Don't worry. Just the roses. They may be beautiful, but they are able to provide their own defence," you laughed lightly.

He shook his head with a smile on his face.

"Very much like yourself. The truest beauty in the world, but capable to put any man in line," he chuckled. "We should go get you cleaned up."

You couldn't help the red tinge that fell upon your cheeks.

"Thank you," you smiled.

He leaned in to kiss your cheek, lingering by your ear for a second to whisper, "I love you too Y/N."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.