John Laurens- Come Home (c)

The war had taken more than could have ever imagine, taken lives, love and happiness, leaving most dark and lost to when it would be over. Although it affected you, you never thought it'd be directly. It was far away, and you were happily ignorant of the men on the battlefield, of what they had to struggle with. You had a happy home with your husband, and everything was being prepared for the perfect life the two of you had always wanted to lead. A single letter changed that.

A letter had come through, announcing that John was needed to join the army. You knew of his work recruiting soldiers, and liberating slaves, but you never thought he would end up on the battlefield, however it was probably ignorance the fact. John was a healthy man, with links to the army, why wouldn't he be asked to join the cause?

You couldn't help the tears brimming in your eyes, terrified of what would come next. Not only did you not know when you would next see your husband, but even worse, you didn't have any idea if you would ever see him again. You knew that if John could he would stay or make sure to keep your updated on when he would be back or how he was, but at best you could have regular letters if he had the chance.

John walked down the stairs, his uniform perfectly presented, hair tied in a tight pony tail at the back of his, allowing his curly hair to swish against his back. You were stood by the front door, trying not to get emotional.

"I'm sorry, my Love," he smiled softly, trying to make sure that you knew that everything would be okay.

"It's not your fault," you whispered.

You couldn't be annoyed at him. It wasn't his fault. You knew he wanted to fight for his country, and you couldn't blame him. You knew he felt bad that men died, and he did nothing, but still you didn't want him to go anywhere.

"I'm still sorry," he said softly, leaning in to press a gentle kiss to your forehead.

As he pulled away, he frowned noticing your frown and teary eyes.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He questioned.

The tears fell. You couldn't hold in the tears anymore. It was impossible. You didn't want to see him go. You didn't want to lose him.

"Because I love you, damn it!"

His expression softened, pressing a soft kiss to your nose, trying to make you smile.

"I love you too, but why the tears?" He said gently.

You sniffed in heavily, trying to calm the tears enough that you could talk clearly.

"I don't want to lose you John. What... what if I never see you again? My heart would break if a letter came through telling me that you didn't survive. I cannot even imagine what I would do if that were to happen," you cried, gripping onto his uniform jacket, wanting to hold onto him forever and never let go.

"I promise you that I'll be back," he smiled.

"You can't promise me that."

He laced his fingers with yours, giving your hand a gentle squeeze.

"I promise you that I will come home for you, and I will not break that promise."

"Please just come home."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.