Eliza Schuyler- Love (c)

You dismissed your maid to go an prepare a spare room for your friend Eliza. It was the room next to your own, not wishing for her to be on the other side of the house as after your husbands passing, you were left with his fortune and your home, but it was ever so lonely with only your servants living with you. Your maid hurried out of the room, leaving you alone with Eliza who had finished patting her eyes with a handkerchief.

"Are you okay Eliza?" You questioned, returning to your seat beside her.

She nodded her head, lowering the cloth back to her lap.

"I am no longer sorrowful, if that is what you mean," she stated. "I am more confused and annoyed if anything."

You gave her a pitiful smile. The two of you had been friends- more than friends- for a long time, and you had assumed both of your marriages would be good for you. Your husband passed two years into marriage, whilst Alexander, Eliza's husband had revealed he had been committing an affair with a married woman. Eliza had loved him dearly, but with the news of his affair she needed some time to process. She had left her children with her family and come to visit you to escape what was the hell of her married life currently.

"How so?"

"I've always been a loyal wife and he does this. I do not know what I did wrong. My heart has always belonged to another as well as him, yet I refused to be unfaithful," she frowned. "I do wish I had married you."

Eliza hand moved to hold yours amongst the layers of your skirt.

Years prior to either of your marriages, you and Eliza had been lovers. No one knew of your relationship though due to two women being in a relationship being unlawful. You were deeply in love, but it was expected for you both to marry men of wealth, not that she followed that instruction. Once she had been betrothed to Alexander, she solemnly called off your relationship, however keeping her friendship was better than nothing.

"If only the law permitted so," you smiled fondly, thinking of a world in which you and Eliza could have been together.

She leaned in to kiss your lips. "We still have time now. I do not wish to go home for a while, I would like to continue where we left off."

"I would like that too."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by