Maria Reynolds- Affair (c)

Hard knocking on your front door was a cause for concern at the best of times but when it was getting dark and your husband was away, you could only imagine it was the worst possible outcomes. You hesitantly opened your door and found a scene you certainly didn't expect. You thought maybe it could be someone there to tell you that your husband and been hurt or a deranged lunatic looking for someone to injure- neither of these were the case though. At your doorway was your best friend Maria.

At any other time, you would be glad to see her as you enjoyed her company and the two of you got along very well. This time rather than looking beautifully immaculate as she did most of the time, she had tear trails etched upon her cheeks from lots of crying and a bruise covered her cheek. You had never seen her in such a state.

"Maria, what is going on?" You asked, pulling her into a hug.

She fell into your arms, sobbing onto your shoulder, her knees shaking below her. Although she attempted to speak, her emotions got the better of her and caused rambling that you couldn't understand.

"Hey, calm down, what's wrong?" You said calmly, hoping she'd settle her tears and tell you what had been happening. "Is it James?"

She nodded her head.

"Has something happened to him?" You questioned.

You knew she wasn't the closest with her husband, actually she was far from close with him at all. Over the last few months she had felt so detached from her husband that she sought comfort in another man. Alexander Hamilton was a married man whom most of the population of New York knew of, but with his wife out of town he had strayed into the bed of Maria. You didn't approve at first but if it made Maria happy, you would support her even if you insisted, she told her husband and got Alexander to tell his wife. If it was an unhappy marriage there was no harm in ending things, but this way people would get hurt and seemingly someone did.

"He's fine," she croaked. "He knows Y/N."

You paused, not quite catching what she meant until the affair clicked in your mind.

"How?" You asked.

She had been careful to not let James on to the affair but nevertheless secrets always found their way into the light of day.

"I don't know Y/N," she whispered. "I don't know. He was so angry. He is going to threaten Alexander, and there's nothing I can do to stop him."

"Is he threatening him to not see you again?"

Maria shook her head. "He doesn't care about that; he is all for it actually. We haven't lain together in a long while, he has no interest in me anymore. Rather James wants to get money from Alexander, and if he won't pay up, he will tell his wife. I never wanted to hurt anyone; things just got out of hand."

You gave her a hug again, trying to console her.

"It is going to be okay. You do not need to worry about his wife, if she is hurt by this, if she finds out, that is on him not you. As for Alexander, he made his bed, so he shall lie in it. You may have done wrong, but you certainly weren't the only one."

She nodded her head against your shoulder, letting her tears continue to fall.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.