Maria Reynolds- Divorce (c)

No matter what happened, through thick and thin, you and Maria would always be friends. You couldn't care less of what she did in her spare time, and especially with how James treated her, you didn't think any less of her with what had occurred with Alexander Hamilton.

She didn't know if she loved Alexander but she did care for him, she liked that there was something there that wasn't fuelled by the abuse that she received from the husband she had hoped would love her. Even though she didn't like James and hated how he treated her, she was still dependant on him, she still needed him there, whilst turning to Alexander for the care she didn't get in her marriage.

The two of you were having your usual Saturday tea with your friend when a letter turned up for her. It was rare for her to receive a letter. Years prior she would receive love letters from her husband and more recently the odd letter from Alexander about their affair, but this was unusual. James' handwriting was scrawled on the front.

Maria was hesitant to open the letter, however she did. As her eyes trailed over the words her husband had written tears brimmed in her eyes fighting their way down her cheeks. You put your teacup down onto your saucer, gently placing a hand on her arm as a gesture of compassion and care.

"Maria, are you okay?" You question. "Has something happened to James?"

She held the paper in her hands, scrunching it in her tight grip. Her head shook side to side, tears continuing to tumble down her face.

"He is fine... he is fine... without me," she whispered, her voice cracking under the emotional pressure.

"What do you mean?" You asked rather confused as to what she meant.

"He wants a divorce," she whispered. "He wants to get a divorce from me."

You weren't sure what to say. Although it was a loveless and abusive marriage, it was her only opportunity to be in a stable life. She had money and a home with James, but if he divorced her she would be as good as nothing, and with the Reynolds Pamphlet having been released by Alexander it was near impossible that he'd want anything to do with her.

"I am so sorry," you said gently to her. "Would you like me to leave? Give you some time to yourself."

She quickly jumped, clutching hold of your hand to stop you from leaving her.

"I'd like it if you stayed," she said frantically. "I mean if you don't want to... that is fine. But you are the only friend I have, and I need your support even just in being my friend."

You couldn't help but gently smile at her. She was your closest friend and you appreciated having her by your side, and was glad to have the opportunity to be there for her when she needed you the most.

"I won't go anywhere," you promised.

"Thank you, Y/N," she said with a broken almost impossible smile. "I may not have been happy with James, I haven't for a very long time but I am terrified to be alone."

You held her hand softly trying to be reassuring. "It will be okay Maria. I promise you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Requested by