James Madison- Flu (c)

You held the handkerchief to your mouth, to contain the germs as you bid the man farewell when he left the room. The door didn't get a chance to close before a different man made his way into the room, taking the others place. You sent him a weak smile as he hastily moved to pull the chair up to the side of the bed.

"Are you okay my Love?" He asked softly taking your hand within his.

"Of course," you smiled. "He is certain it is just the flu."

He nodded his head softly.

James was frantically concerned when you had fallen under the weather, and instantly got into contact with the local doctor to get him to come and check on you. You were sure it wasn't anything overly serious as it was mainly pains and aches along with a cough but it could hardly be much else. The doctor had confirmed such a theory, telling you there was little he could do to help other than insist that you rest and stay hydrated.

"I am sorry to worry you," you said gently lowering the handkerchief as you seized coughing for the moment, knowing you would only cough once more again later.

His smile was equally as weak as yours, the uncertainty coming clear on his face.

"It isn't your fault, my dear. I wish I could help," he whispered.

Your eyebrows knitted together. You loved your husband ever so dearly but you did find it kind of preposterous that he thought that he wouldn't be fulfilling his husbandly duties as he couldn't assist in your illness.

"Nonsense. Of course, you are helping me. Just being here, brings a smile to my face which is one of the grandest things," you smiled to assure him that you cared.

He let out a gentle chuckle, giving your hand a soft squeeze.

"Would you like me to stay then? Or would you rather I left you to rest?" He asked softly moving a hand to brush through your hair to move your locks of hair from your clammy forehead.

"Please stay, my love. I may fall asleep and you are welcome to leave then, but I'd like it if you were to stay with me even for just a moment," you smiled softly.

James nodded his head.

"I shall stay then. Give me a moment to write to Thomas to tell him that I shall not be at work tomorrow, I'm sure that he can handle it, so that I can stay with you."

You were going to argue with him however you didn't have the energy and you were quite looking forward to have your husband at home tomorrow.

"Okay, come back quickly, my love," you whispered.

He leaned in to kiss your forehead before taking his leave to write to his colleague.

~*~+-<>

Written by Charlotte.