Peggy Schuyler- Heat (c)

The gasp Peggy released was loud enough for the whole estate to hear. It was hardly a shocking thing that she saw, however she certainly thought otherwise.

With the heat of summer surrounding you, you had bought a new gown. The seamstress made it especially for you, to help you cope with the heat. It wasn't for a formal event, but it was to help you cope with the heat whilst in the drawing room and library of your home.

When your best friend Peggy Schuyler had come to visit, you were excited to show it. It wasn't anything you had seen a woman of status wear in New York, but it was gorgeous nevertheless. You hastily got changed. Due to the style, you didn't need a lady's maid to assist you due to the lack of ribbon and a corset. It was a simple garment, but you enjoyed how different it was compared to the fashion of your time.

As soon as you stepped back into your room, Peggy had to take a seat at your bureau, to compose herself.

"Your mother allowed you that?" She gasped.

"She hasn't seen it yet, don't you think it is perfect though," you smiled.

It was hardly something common for the time, but it was suitable for the heat that beat down on you. The garment wasn't much more than your undergarments. Rather than a floor-length skirt, the flowing fabric reached above your knees, and joined in the middle to form airy shorts. The top half was separated by an embroidered belt, with the top showing off your cleavage and lacking sleeves that most of your gowns wore.

"Where is your modesty?" She whispered. "My mother would never allow my sisters or I to be seen by anyone especially a man, in nothing more than our undergarments."

You rolled your eyes. You knew no one would agree with how much skin that was shown in such an outfit, however you didn't want to swelter in the hot summer sun when in your own home.

"It is unbearable to wear all of those skirts. It isn't illegal to show my legs, and I do not have any intentions to wear this out for anyone to see. I still have my sanity. Nevertheless, I do not wish to faint due to the heat."

She sighed.

"It is beautifully made, but if anyone sees you wearing such a thing, I can't imagine they will be impressed."

You smiled confidently. "This is merely for me to wear whilst within my home, the servants shall not complain, and papa is rarely here to voice his opinion, and mama cannot argue what I wear out of the public eye."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.