Mission Pt. 2

Tony spoke the words and his voice rang in my ear. As soon as he said it I felt Sam lift me from under my arms. He flies us over the wall and we land on the other side. Almost immediately we are charged by the Hydra guards. Sam and I fight them for a few minutes until they're all on the ground. Then we take off inside.

Running through the halls seemed to go in slow motion. It felt like I was just a child getting walked around the facility again. I didn't stop I just slowed for a moment when I saw the room. It was the room where it all began, the torture and experimentation. I glanced inside and saw it was empty.

Sam called out to me and I caught up. I directed him through the halls until we found another door, this one with a small window about halfway up.

"Ok so this is where our job gets difficult. These kids think Hydra is good. Some of them are probably willing to die to protect Hydra so we need to be careful, slow, and clear about what we're doing here ok?"

He nods. I take a deep breath and watch as Sam uses a small gadget to burn the lock and once he's done I just look at it. I whip my head around as we here footsteps coming our way.

"You go I can handle these guys." Sam whispers.

I glance at him and then back at the door. Here we go. I open the door and close it behind me. There were four girls in this room. One looked to be older and the other three were probably under 10. The oldest hops up and gets in a fighting stance.

"Hey wait wait wait!! I put my guns and knives on the ground. I'm here to help, not to hurt you."

I noticed bruises on the older girl.

"I don't know what you've been told or what you think but the people you are with are not the good guys. My name is Y/N. I used to be here just like you. I know what they do to you."

Their eyes widen as they hear my name. The older girl relaxes and sit backs down on another girls bed. "Why are you here?"

"Look i'm with the good guys now ok? We're here to get you out of here and then destroy this place. We want Hydra gone. I just need you to come with me. Can you do that? What's your name?"

The older girl speaks again. "My name is Lucy. How do I know you aren't here to hurt us and this isn't some test?" Of course shes smart. They all are.

"Come here." I notion to the door. She cautiously walks towards me. I open the door a little to show Sam fighting the guards. She turns towards me. "Ok, i'll come with you. I just need to get the others ready." I nod. She quickly gets the rest of the kids together and they stand ready to go in front of me. I smile and pick my guns back up. "Stay behind me. We've got a few more stops to make."

We leave the room as Sam finishes off the last of the agents. We run through the halls, me in front and Sam behind everyone. We stops at several other rooms and Lucy helps me convince the rest of the kids. Of course there were some that were more difficult to convince but eventually we got them too. Once we were finished I run everyone to the exit, shooting anyone who tried to stop us.

I get everyone out and we regroup in the woods. I press my earpiece. "Kids are out, how much more time do you guys needs?" It takes a minute but Bucky finally responds. "Yea we just need another 15."

We take the kids farther away from the base and I hand the older ones some small knives and handguns. Sam raises an eyebrow. As soon as his back is turned I wink at Lucy and she nods. I take off back toward the facility. I hear Sam call out. "Y/N?! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING??" I just smile and keep running.

I reach the entrance and quickly run inside. If Bucky was right I still had 10 minutes. I ran to the experimentation room. I reached the wall with a large computer and plugged in a small flash drive. Files flashed on the screen. Hydra had files on the Avengers, me, future plans, and files on all the kids. I shook my head. All the sudden I hear a voice behind me.

"Never did I think I would see you again, let alone with the avengers. My best work, favorite project." The man grins.

Images flash through my head. He was the man who did the experimentation. Anger filled me.

"Well I guess not favorite. Maybe second. Only second to Eli."

I froze. What did he say? He just sat there staring into my eyes and laughing. All the sudden a shot rang out and a bullet ripped through my leg. I cried out in pain. Damn it.

The man just walked out. I had to get out. I tried to stand. It was hard but I limped to the computer and unplugged the flash drive. I put it in my pocket and tried to run through the searing pain. I made it back outside.

Natasha spoke on comms. "we ready?"
Everyone responded and I said "Light her up." I lay in the grass a couple hundred feet from the building as it exploded. Once I watched the whole building get destroyed I walked back to Sam. Everyone else had already met up with him. Lucy noticed me and ran up to me. She offered to help me walk and I just shook her off. Nothing seemed real. I must be in shock, I can't feel anything anymore.

We loaded the kids onto a shield jet and I waved goodbye. They were being taken back to shield headquarters where their families would be found and they would be returned. After they left I went to the Quinjet. I was the last on. Everyone else had minor injuries, I was the only one shot. I didn't saw a word as I sat down and stared into space. Losing myself in thought. I thought he was dead, there was no way he was still alive. A few people swarmed me and were trying to look at my leg.

I didn't speak to any of them. A blank expression stayed on my face the entire ride back.