In Trouble

The soft rumble of the jet landing gently wakes me up. I yawn and sit myself up on the bench. The engines power down in a soft roar.

I stand up, walk over to the controls, and start powering the jet down. Before I can even open the door it opens on its own. I don't have to turn around to know who it is, I can hear his foot tapping. The paper in my pocket is making this situation much more uncomfortable.

I slowly turn on my heel and see Tony with his arms crossed.

I smile. "Heh uh hello."

He looks even more frustrated.

I shrug. "Busted."

He turns and storms away. I sigh and grab my bag from the bench. This wasn't going to end well...

I chase after him, the wind whipping my hair as I run. He pushes the heavy metal door open and I grab it right before it closes again.

"Tony I can explain!" I shout.

"Save it." He says monotonously.

I roll my eyes as I continue to chase him through the halls. I come to an abrupt stop when we reach the kitchen.

My eyes wander the room and see everyone sitting around. I catch Buckys eyes and looks apologetic. How the hell did a literal assassin fail to lie?

I roll my eyes again. "Look-"

"Let me stop you." Sam says. "Why didn't you tell us you were leaving? Last time you left it didn't exactly go well for anyone. You could have told someone you had to talk to a family friend!" He argues, uncrossing his arms.

I stifle a laugh and move my eyes back Bucky. I raise an eyebrow and he just shrugs.

"Ok let's move to the living room and chat." I sigh and drop my bag beside the counter.

I walk past them and hear them follow not far behind. We all fall back onto the couch and I sit on the edge with my hands on my knees. My sleeve rises ever so slightly and reveals bruises from the testing wires.

From beside me, Steve grabs my arm. "What are these? What happened?" He asks frantically, searching eyes.

I honestly hadn't even known they had formed. I place my hand on his and slowly pull my arm away. I find Bucky and he nods.

"I haven't been completely honest with all of you..." I begin.

A few of them sigh and sink farther into the cushions. I'm sure they were asking themselves what this time, I was incredibly prone shitty situations.

Before continuing on, I raise a finger and then run to my room. I slam my door opens and scramble to my bed. The papers were still under the bed and I collect them as fast as I can.

With a collection of messy paper I speed back to the living room. I drop them on the floor and quickly run to the kitchen and search the drawers. Their eyes go back and forth as I scramble around the room.

I find a small box of thumb tacks and I snatch them up and run back to the living room. I start tacking the papers to the wall one by one until it's all put together.

I hear whispers and even some gasps from behind me. I take a step back and admire the gigantic blueprints and notes set up on the wall in front of me.

"What is it?" Someone asks from behind me.

I turn around and greet them with a smile. "A solved puzzle"

"How? Where did you get this?" A confused Clint asks.

My smile fades.  "Long story, but we've got time so here we go."

~time skippppp~

"And that's where I was. Not visiting a family friend. But how did y'all even believe that? My family's dead?" I scoff.

It's dead silent. I don't know if they were in shock or just confused.

"So you lied?" Tony asks.

I roll my eyes. "Like you never Mr. let's build a killer robot guy!" I laugh.

Tony shrugs in defeat.

"So what's our next move?" Steve asks straightening himself.

I shove my hand into my pocket and pull out the crinkled paper. "This has directions on how to get into the base with the machine, if we can somehow find a way to override it, we can stop it. I may not have seen him, but I know Loki is there." I exclaim.

Tony stands up and approaches the schematics. "I'll call some friends." He says resting his chin on his hand.

I nod.

"In the meantime, we need you to tell us everything." Nat says standing from the couch and grabbing a notebook from the drawer in the coffee table.

"Yea" I sigh and sit cross legged on the floor.

Not too long after we split Bruce passes through as he rushes to the lab with Tony. Even Peter shows up to try and help.

We spend the next few hours going over every detail from earlier that day. I sit in Steve's lap and he holds me as I describe the testing and the pain from only hours before.

When we finish the 6 of us sit together enjoying the company. It was definitely better than some secret HYDRA facility.

I look at the clock and it's nearly 3. I'm sitting around the small table in the living room with Nat, Sam, Bucky, Steve, Wanda, and Clint and snack on some chips.

It was strangely relaxing and chill around the tower. It felt strange for some reason. Something was different. Everything felt... off.

Clint flips the tv on and we all watch as he flips through the channels.

"Stop!" Nat practically shouts at him.

Clint stops and goes back a few channels to find a news station. Footage from Indiana was live.

Their eyes all find their way to me. I stare blankly at the screen.

"This is it." I gasp. "I-I didn't know it would be so soon."

I stand from my spot in Steve's lap and race to the lab to find Tony, Bruce, and Peter gathered around a small table.

"Please tell me you've got that device figured out." I plead.

They all snap back to me. Bruce laughs. "We've merely analyzed the schematics and we've begun a prototype." He says, his voice fading.

I look at them terrified, my hands trembling. "We're out of time." I say shakily.

Last update: 03/01/21  10:25pm

Hey guy! Sorry it took so long for me to update I was in a weird place the last few days. Anywho I love all the comments and we reached 4k votes! Woo! I think by the end of the week I'll be done but I wanted to say thank you to everyone who's reading! <3