Presentation night

"It's up in flames.." Peter stutters.

No no no. Before anyone can react I sprint towards the burning building. I can hear Sam call after me but I don't stop. This was our one chance to insert the device. There's no way i'm letting this opportunity slip away.

I reach the building, the entrance already burned to the crisp. No no no. I charge up my powers and use it to push the fiery pieces of building away from me. Charred bodies litter the halls and the desks.

I wince at the sight but I continue on. The smoke was thick and I start coughing. It was filling my lungs.

"I'm almost to the central computer room. I need the fires out if this is gonna work. Not just the computer room, the entire building. You guys handle that?" I shout over comms.

I'm running down the halls and ducking between fallen chunks of ceiling.

"Yea we can handle that, but what about the rest of the guys inside? You don't need help with that? i know your tough and all but..." Tony says through comms.

I hear the jet and hear some sort of foam being sprayed over the building. Some fires begin to go out but not enough.

"Yea well everyone inside is dead.... so that won't be an issue." I huff out.

Radio silence.

"Well ok then." Nat replies after a moment.

I reach the central computer room and find partially burned computers.

"no no no" I whisper frantically.

I sift around through the room trying to find anything that is still salvageable. I reach a corner of the room with a few monitors and screens left.

I work quickly to put the fires out around the computers. Once the flames have been extinguished I reach into my boot until I find a cool piece of metal. I smile and pull it out of my boot. I feel around the back of the computer until I find the latch.

I flip the latch and I hear the little door flip open. I quickly feel around the familiar hardware until I find the port. I push my device into a hole in the port. It glows red for a brief second, then i'm the light disappears. That was its activation signal.

I grin. The plan was set in motion. I meet back up with the team, there was nothing else I could really do. I watched from the tree line as Clint flies the jet over the building tries to douse the flames.

The flames become smaller until the building is secure. We all go back inside and try to find a source of the fires. We search through the rubble for hours, gathering samples for Tony.

We finish up as it reaches noon. We grab the bags filled with charred and unrecognizable items and head onto the jet. Once we're all seated we take off and head back towards the tower.

"Did they do this? Would they burn their own building? Their own people?" Peter asks oh so innocently.

I nearly snort. I look up and see Bucky shaking his head at the floor.

"Of course they would. HYDRA would do anything to keep their secrets secret." I laugh.

Everyone looks at me like i'm crazy. I raise an eyebrow at them. "Hey you asked the ridiculous question not me." I say and raise my hands in defense.

"The question then is did they do it?" Bucky asks looking up.

I tilt my head. "There's not a doubt in my mind that they did." I say.

"But what we're they hiding?" Steve asks.

"Well now we'll figure it out. My device is in place. All I need now is my computer." I smirk.