Is this Goodbye?

I blink awake. I'm blinded by a bright white light. Where was I? My eyes adjust and I look around me. Doctors. I was in a hospital. They were wheeling me down a hallways. I could hear them shouting orders but I couldn't quite make out what they were saying. Something about the OR. I looked down to see myself covered in blood.

I remember what happened now. HYDRA had shot me down. I took them down but not before they shot me. Multiple times. I feel a squeeze of my hand and I look up to see Steve on one hand and Sam on the other.

"Hang in there Y/n. You're gonna be ok." Sam assures me.

I smile but then wince in pain. My stomach really hurt. We reach a set of doors and the doctors push Sam and Steve away. They couldn't go past here. I feel their grip on my hand loosen and then slip away.

I'm wheeled into another room and am transferred to a table. They lower a mask onto my face and I start breathing heavily. A woman stood over me as my vision started to blur. I can hear the doctors scurrying around but I can't feel anything anymore. My eyes close. I was going to wake up. I had to.

————————————————————————
~avengers pov~

They were given a room to wait in. The doctors didn't want them to be disturbed while waiting so they took them to a meeting room on a different floor. Some of them sat. Some of them just paced the room. All of them were on edge. They had rushed Y/n to the hospital and the doctors had rushed her into surgery. Steve had carried her and his shirt was covered in blood.

"I'll kill them. I swear to god if she dies i'll kill them all." Sam says coldly.

Everyone looks up at him. It was very out of character for him. He was usually the optimist and sarcastic person. Not now. Now he was anxious, angry, worried.

"She is going to fine. She has to be." Nat assures him.

Time seems to go ever so slowly. They all watched the clock. Each time the seconds ticked their hearts beat faster.

They stayed in the room for several hours. It wasn't until two hours later when a man in a white coat knocked on the door. Clint rushes to the door and lets him in.

The doctor comes into the room.

"Is the surgery done? Is she ok?" They all ask, bombarding the poor doctor with questions.

The man raises his eyebrows. "Oh the surgery is only part way done. Due to the seriousness of the injury, the surgery will take a few more hours. After the surgery is done, if the patient makes it they will have to stay isolated in an ICU for a little while as well. We recommend you get some sleep. Waiting is often time the root of anxiety for the family of the patient." The doctor tells them trying to calm them down.

They stay quiet. "No. I think we'll stay here if that's ok.." Tony says quietly.

The doctor nods.

"How is the surgery going?" Bucky asks.

The doctor nods again. "They are still in the process of removing the bullets. The places that she was hit have caused some damage to her organs. Our best surgeons are doing the best the can." The doctor assured them. "Let me know if there is anything else we can do for you." He says before leaving them alone.

They sit in silence again. Tony puts his head in his heads and shakes his head.

"Well we can't just sit here and do nothing." Sam says abruptly.

Everyone turns to him. "You heard the doctor Sam, there's nothing we can do but wait right now." Natasha says quietly.

"Maybe medically, but we can try and find these bastards. Do our thing. Tony can get a computer and pull up our files. Someone can go home and get our papers and files from the table. We can do something. We have to. I want to find these assholes." He says slamming his hand on the table.

Steve was kind of impressed. Sam had done a little call to action speech. They look around the room and agree in silence.

"I can get the files and anything else we might need from the tower." Thor offers.

Sam nods and Thor leaves the room, mjolnir in hand. Tony gets on the phone with Thor and puts him on speakerphone. Everyone starts talking and telling Thor what to grab.

About a half and hour later Thor walks back in through the door, with a big box in one hand and a computer in the other. Tony smirks and grabs the computer. The team sets the room up, laying out files and pictures. They get a dry erase board from the doctors and take notes.

"Ok. Y/n kept saying the name Dr. Schmuck on the way here. Anyone recognize it?" Natasha asks, taking charge.

"Yes! Yes, when we went and raided the HYDRA base about a year ago, one of our prisoners that escaped was a Dr. Schmuck. Y/n had mentioned she was a big deal in HYDRA.  A doctor or scientist of sorts." Steve exclaims.

He turns to Clint who writes this down on the board. They go through finding pictures and intel on Schmuck.

"Ok so, obviously Schmuck isn't the boss, but she works with the boss. So, if we find Schmuck and follow her, we can find the person who ordered the strike and controlled Y/n. By the looks of it, not only would we be getting revenge for Y/n, but also taking down a major HYDRA leader." Bucky points out.

They agree. They had been so focused on their work they hadn't noticed the time fly by.

There was another knock at the door. They all stopped and looked at each other. A deep breath is shared by all of them. There was another knock. This time Steve goes to the door and opens it.

Several doctors are standing at the door.

"May we?" A woman asks.

Steve nods and takes a step back. The doctors come into the room and close the door behind them. None of them looked at any of the anxious people standing and waiting for answers.

"We did everything we could..." A woman begins.

"No.." Sam whispers.

"The surgery was going well but then her organs went into failure and there was a lot of bleeding. We tried to resuscitate but.. she was gone. I'm so sorry." She says looking up, but refusing to make eye contact.

The doctors leave the room, leaving the avengers. When they said the words everyone felt their hearts break. No. She was gone. They lost her, then got her back, lost her, and got her back for moments. Those moments were Steve
held her were the last.

Sam crumpled to the ground and Bucky came to his side. They all came They didn't react. They didn't know how to react. She had impacted their lives in ways they didn't even think was possible.

And now she was gone.

Last update: 01/30/21 2:18pm

Hey guys! There's only one or two more updates left after this one but thank you so much for reading! Don't forget to vote and check out my other story if you want more! <3